Low Ph and High Alk - Help Appreciated

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just didn't want people to misunderstand because there are ways to add O2 without reducing CO2, and ways to reduce CO2 without increasing O2. :)

No worries Randy, I appreciate the "correction" as even though myself and many others may know full well exactly what I meant, I feel it is VERY important that we are very clear with newer folks to the hobby so there is 0 room for misinterpretation.

Plus I think my favorites aspect of this hobby is that no matter how much you know about 1 area of the hobby and how much of an expert you might be in it, you can still be considered "newb" levels in others. As an example me and fish diseases, LOL if it's not flukes or itch or velvet I'd be on these forums like a newbie, we all have our areas of weakness and that's what makes this hobby great. We are all always learning.

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you have already gotten the problem taken care of, but here's how I keep the humidity up through my scrubbers. Utilizing the skimmer is smart with no need to refill!

20170717_214046.jpg
Loved this! Will give it a try

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you have already gotten the problem taken care of, but here's how I keep the humidity up through my scrubbers. Utilizing the skimmer is smart with no need to refill!

20170717_214046.jpg
Follow up question, the first scrubber is connected to the second, and then the intake is connected to the jar with water?

How to you run air into the scrubber? Or no need?

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes like this (sorry no pictures I am at work).:

Skimmer cup - First reactor In - Media - First Reactor Out - Water Container (jar) - Second Reactor In - Media - Second Reactor Out - Skimmer Air Intake

Hope this helps.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. If BRS found out about this I think they would be very unhappy as I will probably save me about $600 a year on media. However, maybe not since doing this might make running a CO2 scrubber a much more viable option for the average reefer who used to be scared off by the cost of replacing the media.

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes like this (sorry no pictures I am at work).:

Skimmer cup - First reactor In - Media - First Reactor Out - Water Container (jar) - Second Reactor In - Media - Second Reactor Out - Skimmer Air Intake

Hope this helps.
Thanks, is it because of the tank size that you decided to use 2 reactor?

And if I got it, it's a closed loop right? You get the new air from skimmer bubbles

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right. The new air comes from skimmer bubbles. My pH in my house was way low. Like 7.5 on some nights. I hooked up the second scrubber to see if it would offer me any additional "scrubbing." To be honest I don't think it makes much difference. However, I do like having the second one just so it gives me extra time to react if / when my media does start to stop working. But I have no idea when that will be as it is working so efficiently now.

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right. The new air comes from skimmer bubbles. My pH in my house was way low. Like 7.5 on some nights. I hooked up the second scrubber to see if it would offer me any additional "scrubbing." To be honest I don't think it makes much difference. However, I do like having the second one just so it gives me extra time to react if / when my media does start to stop working. But I have no idea when that will be as it is working so efficiently now.
Thanks!! What is the size of your tank? A scrubber is only 30usd, peace of mind outs worth it [emoji1]

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question, the first scrubber is connected to the second, and then the intake is connected to the jar with water?

How to you run air into the scrubber? Or no need?
You got it! I have a line running from my skimmer' s air intake to the first scrubber, then the intake of the first scrubber is connected to the second scrubber, then the intake of the second is connected to the mason jar. I drilled two holes in the top of the mason jar jar lid, I plumbed the air hose through one and the second is the air intake for the jar.

I run two scrubber purely to extend the life of the media. I'm actually watching it now to see just how long two new canisters will last me. I'm guessing it will be around five weeks. The second canister takes surprisingly long to start showing purple even after the first is "fully exhausted".

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again XNaviDiver, and Ty Hamatake

Is it necessary to make it a close loop?
I'm wondering in this might work too with the jar full with water after the CO2 scrubber and pulling fresh air.

The reason why I'm asking is because my Skimmer is creating lots of bubbles in the collection cup to the point it burps from the top holes on the lid (i guess is because it's to hot and moist).

I'm afraid that if i run the line back to the skimmer lid is going to make a mess by pulling the bubbles in the line.

What do you think?

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again XNaviDiver, and Ty Hamatake

Is it necessary to make it a close loop?
I'm wondering in this might work too with the jar full with water after the CO2 scrubber and pulling fresh air.

The reason why I'm asking is because my Skimmer is creating lots of bubbles in the collection cup to the point it burps from the top holes on the lid (i guess is because it's to hot and moist).

I'm afraid that if i run the line back to the skimmer lid is going to make a mess by pulling the bubbles in the line.

What do you think?
You don't have to make it a "closed loop" by running your line from the collection cup (my guess for the overflow of bubbles would be a high bioload so a lot of proteins to skim out?).

If you go the jar-of-water route, it needs to be before the scrubber. So it would be; air intake from outside -> jar -> scrubber. The whole point of the jar is to humidify the water going into the scrubber, helping to keep the media somewhat moist.

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to make it a "closed loop" by running your line from the collection cup (my guess for the overflow of bubbles would be a high bioload so a lot of proteins to skim out?).

If you go the jar-of-water route, it needs to be before the scrubber. So it would be; air intake from outside -> jar -> scrubber. The whole point of the jar is to humidify the water going into the scrubber, helping to keep the media somewhat moist.
Thanks Ty!

This is what i mean about overflow bubbles.
Bubbles are not dissipating.

Are you sure is the bioload, or do you recommended i start a thread?

d7aa44501e8e5516bfa002ab74d04537.jpg

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ty!

This is what i mean about overflow bubbles.
Bubbles are not dissipating.

Are you sure is the bioload, or do you recommended i start a thread?

d7aa44501e8e5516bfa002ab74d04537.jpg
I'm not sure at all. It was a total guess. Looking at it, you may want to try skimming wetter though. If RO skimmers work the same as Skimz, all you would need to do is turn the red dial counterclockwise (small adjustments) which should raise the water level inside the skimmer.

Starting a thread never hurt, especially if it's something you're struggling with.

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Noah? I’m experiencing the same problem.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back