OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if this is true then it is as Randy stated can only be co2 in the water and more than likely the room. Depending on size of tank and co2 levels in the room it could take 24 hours or longer with windows open to see a significant rise in tank ph. If the levels of co2 are elevated enough then the exchange at the water surface of the tank and sump may exceed what your skimmer with co2 scrubber may be capable of doing. Do Randy's test with water sample outside. Obviously you will need a different ph meter as your Apex is not going outside. Be sure what ever meter you are using use it to test the tank and outside. There are many articles on reef2reef on raising tank ph and if you really need to.
Thank you so much. I'll do the test tomorrow and post an update.

I foresee is co2, the big problem is going to be how to fix it.

If I try to run a pvc line outside is going to be 30ft long, cause of the house layout. And not sure if such a long pipe will deliver fresh air to the sump area...

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's because the skimmer inlet can't compete with the water volume of the specific tank in relation with the co2 levels in the specific house. That's why everyone's results are different. It's not the salt. Try the ph test with outside air and you'll see.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I'll do the test tomorrow and post an update.

I foresee is co2, the big problem is going to be how to fix it.

If I try to run a pvc line outside is going to be 30ft long, cause of the house layout. And not sure if such a long pipe will deliver fresh air to the sump area...
This will work for the skimmer, even running a line into attic will help but other solutions are a refugium, chaeto reactor, ATS, limewater, or an air exchanger on central HVAC. I am not even sure I would even worry if that is where your PH stays. read up on here, look over various articles that Randy has written and many other post. I can't open windows where I live as the temps during summer are normally over 100 and as high as 120F during the summer. My daytime ph high is 7.9-8.0 night time ph lows are 7.7 I do run a calcium reactor but it is still pretty much the same without it.

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will work for the skimmer, even running a line into attic will help but other solutions are a refugium, chaeto reactor, ATS, limewater, or an air exchanger on central HVAC. I am not even sure I would even worry if that is where your PH stays. read up on here, look over various articles that Randy has written and many other post. I can't open windows where I live as the temps during summer are normally over 100 and as high as 120F during the summer. My daytime ph high is 7.9-8.0 night time ph lows are 7.7 I do run a calcium reactor but it is still pretty much the same without it.
I'll quote airexchanger!
For Chaeto I have no more room I sump.
Will upgrade soon.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5011.PNG
Here is my Ph with windows closed running CO2 media and line outside and then with all house windows open.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. I blame the APEX PH module. My seneye says 8.2 when APEX is at 7.90. Made the mistake of adding a buffer now my KH is 14..

Last edited:

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a BRS CO2 scrubber on friday. I notice my pH is already starting to dip. Doesn't look like all the media is purple yet though. I am starting to regret my decision of installing this scrubber already. I may just end up drilling through my wall and putting my skimmer line outside.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a BRS CO2 scrubber on friday. I notice my pH is already starting to dip. Doesn't look like all the media is purple yet though. I am starting to regret my decision of installing this scrubber already. I may just end up drilling through my wall and putting my skimmer line outside.
The scrubber needs to draw in moist air and the media will last much longer. I drilled a hole on the top of my skimmer lid and installed a nylon elbow fitting, ran a length of silicone tubing from it to the inlet fitting on the scrubber. It draws moist air from inside the scrubber now. It's increased the life to close to 3 weeks before I need to replace the media.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures. I notice my tubing is running the opposite as yours (in vs out). I don't think that would make a difference on my end though. I drilled my skimmer top and ran some silicone to seal the tube in place. I will see how it does.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitored overnight. I noticed my pH was plummeting. Had I not made the change you suggested I am sure I would have been back in the 7.7 - 7.8 range overnight. But, with your inlet tubing modification it has stabilized at 8.0 +/- 0.02. So, it appears to be absolutely working. This is a really good idea. I plan to change my media in the next day or so so that will really give me a good idea of how much longer the media will last. Thanks a bunch.

@XNavyDiver Do you have a solenoid on your scrubber?

Last edited:

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitored overnight. I noticed my pH was plummeting. Had I not made the change you suggested I am sure I would have been back in the 7.7 - 7.8 range overnight. But, with your inlet tubing modification it has stabilized at 8.0 +/- 0.2. So, it appears to be absolutely working. This is a really good idea. I plan to change my media in the next day or so so that will really give me a good idea of how much longer the media will last. Thanks a bunch.

@XNavyDiver Do you have a solenoid on your scrubber?
No, but I have looked into it. I like the idea of the apex controlling it. As of now the pH stays between 8.35-8.25. So at the moment I don't see the need.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! I came home from work today to find that the modification had been pulling in skimmer foam all day into the reactor. So my media is now soaked in skimmer water. May need a check valve on this thing to prevent this. The suction on this line is pretty impressive. It was pulling the foam upwards and didn't even matter that my line was higher than the skimmer top.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually now that I think about it a check valve won't help with this. I am not sure how to pull only air and not foam. Unfortunately my foam builds up at the lid of the skimmer and this pulls it right into the tubing where it builds up and turns back into liquid.

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually now that I think about it a check valve won't help with this. I am not sure how to pull only air and not foam. Unfortunately my foam builds up at the lid of the skimmer and this pulls it right into the tubing where it builds up and turns back into liquid.
Hmmm. I'd need to see the lid of your skimmer. Here's mine. It has a ring of acrylic that prevents foam from spreading to the outer collection cup walls and instead forces the foam straight downward.
20170815_151030.jpg
20170815_151030.jpg

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to put an update here to say that this modification / hack (better word) works like a charm. I am going on a week with the same media in it and it has only started to look violet at the very bottom of the chamber. I think a lot more people would do a CO2 scrubber if they knew about this way of saving the media.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back