Low pH and ORP

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are pH and ORP low? I expect pH to be 8.0 to 8.3 and ORP to be certainly at least 100 points higher. In the past, without much of a biological load, ORP rose quickly (and, using a controller), topped off at 450. pH and ORP seem to be both rising over the course of several days, when zoomed out at that level.

Given that pH is the key parameter of question, I've measured it chemically using a test kit and using a probe. Both confirm my test results.

I have 40 gallons of sea water with the following measured parameters. Tests were repeated on a regular basis and found not to deviate outside de minis amounts:

• pH: 7.87
  • Salinity: 1.026 SGORP: 247 and rising slowly though falling too.
  • Ammonia: 0 ppm
  • Nitrite: 0 ppm
  • Nitrate: 0 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0 ppm
  • Calcium: > 550 ppm
  • Magnesium: 1500 ppm
  • Alkalinity: 13.8 dKH
  • Copper: 0 ppm
  • Temperature: 27 C

Established time: ~1 month

Water is highly turbulent using Tunze Turbelle. The display tank has so much flow that I had to turn down the Turbelle, as no matter how much I positioned it, combined with the Reef Octopus VarioS-6 return, water would blast out the front or sides.

Water is on enclosed space and windows are seldom open.

This sounds totally random but it's not. It's my coral reef aquarium, and I think, but can't confirm that corals and other animals are dying because of it. Whatever you have is great!!

So far I've dosed kalkwasser / limewater, which has a pH of 12, and that only briefly raises pH before it settles.

I'm going to be trying opening windows (hypothesis: too much CO2 lowers pH), but the flat is pressurised and air is blown out the window due to shared hallway ventilation.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley can give more details and he has multiple articles.

That said dont chase ORP as you are not using O3. I clean my probes time and again. If algae build up near the ORP probe, your values will always be higher.
And yes pH is lower because of Co2. Now you do see beautiful reeefs with 7.8-8.1 swings day to day. I stabilized my pH swings to 0.1 by adding a refugium and running is 16hrs a day. I didnt go the scrubber route.

Your alk is def higher. In trying to chase pH dont mess with Alk. 8-10 is recommended

OP
OP
DiZASTiX

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, I am using O3. I haven't touched kalk: I tried dosing kalkwasser, but the alkalinity was in the 13 range or higher prior to that. I've since stopped dosing kalk, and have dosing pumps put out 50 mL a day each of AquaForest Component 1+, 2+, and 3+, as part of the Balling Method. Based on the next set of tests, I'll be adjusting the dosing pumps (likely reducing the dosages).

I'll go and clean the probes of algae and report back.

Thank you for your input.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, I am using O3. I haven't touched kalk: I tried dosing kalkwasser, but the alkalinity was in the 13 range or higher prior to that. I've since stopped dosing kalk, and have dosing pumps put out 50 mL a day each of AquaForest Component 1+, 2+, and 3+, as part of the Balling Method. Based on the next set of tests, I'll be adjusting the dosing pumps (likely reducing the dosages).

I'll go and clean the probes of algae and report back.

Thank you for your input.
Have you tried spreading out your kalkwasser dosing to between 50 and 100 small doses per day? The chemical reaction by which kalk consumed CO2 (and raises pH) is fairly short lived, but can be sustained through many small doses.

If I recall correctly, 45mL of saturated kalkwasser is the same as 1mL of Randy's 2-part recipe. I'm not sure how the AquaForest stuff compares. Depending on your evaporation, you could do 75 doses of kalk at 5mL per dose and only reduce your AquaForest dosing by under 10mL per day.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back