Low PH confirmation

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not the only one who has hit the low pH issue. I'd been dosing Alk to stabilize things during the cycle and while the pH isn't awful (it was 7.7) it's not ideal.

I do have a fuge in here, growing some Chaeto. I would have figured things would have been higher because of this. Apparently not!

I DID open a window a few hours ago, and it's been going up ever since. Is this a pretty bullet proof "get a CO2 reactor" type thing?

1619209510079.png

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem... I think the answers are: skimmer line to the outside, windows open more often, co2 scrubber. The first two don't work for me, so now I've been reading up on the last.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The window is a good indicator.
Get a cup and bubble with an airstone and outside air. If the pH goes where it's expected (mid-low 8s) then that confirms low pH is real and really due to high CO2.

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The window is a good indicator.
Get a cup and bubble with an airstone and outside air. If the pH goes where it's expected (mid-low 8s) then that confirms low pH is real and really due to high CO2.
So I'm building up my Chaeto in my fuge. Would that eventually help enough where I don't need a scrubber?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm building up my Chaeto in my fuge. Would that eventually help enough where I don't need a scrubber?
It depends.
What the chaeto could do in theory, vs what it'll actually do under reef tank nutrients / conditions may be very different. If it gets limited by any conditions - light, flow, N, P, Fe etc then it won't drive pH as hard as you'd hope.
And it matters what the actual indoor CO2 level is and how aggressively the setup mixes the tank water with the indoor air.

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points. I think I'll crack a window to keep things reasonable for now. I've got about 900gph going through the sump, and a AI Fuge to keep it lit. I'll keep this updated!

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an outdoor skimmer air line on multiple tanks and it made a huge difference without having to buy co2 scrubbing media. If your in a location were you can run a line outside I would highly recommend it. Should you be curious about the relationship between PH, Alkalinity and Co2 checkout the tables linked in my signature. Also I live in Michigan and have had the outdoor tempature go below zero in winter with no impact to the tank, of course my water volume may be greater then some...

Having stared at my PH monitor enough now to be able to know my Alkalinity is low based on the PH value as my skimmer has a never ending source of stable input co2 air. Time of day of course matter if your tank is running it's photo period it will drive the PH up. But just checking on the AM before the lights daily I know what my minimum PH should be based on 7.5 DKH when using outdoor skimmer air.

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If opening a window increases pH why not fix the problem? Increase your ventilation. Why would you choose to breath C02 saturated air?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back