low ph during vinegar dosing / solutions?

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar dosing is working great for me but I'm having issues with low pH throughout the day even after spreading the dose out. (Lowest at 7.85 and during peak photoperiod, only tops at 7.95 vs before I started vinegar dosing, pH always stayed between 8.01 to 8.15)

I read previous threads of adding kalkwasser to vinegar to counter the pH drop but I'm dosing ESV 2 part for Alk & Cal. Is it still ok to use kalkwasser in vinegar with ESV 2 part? Any other solutions to counter this issue of constant low pH?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest was I found to keep pH up with carbon dosing is to run my skimmer air inlet through my wall to the outside. Has done wonders. 8.2 DTH and 8.0 NTL.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you likely won’t add much calcium and alkalinity this way. You can determine how much if you tell me the daily vinegar and the tank volume.
Daily vinegar is 48.2ml, tank volume 150 Gallons (Spread out over 7 hours, should I spread it out more?) Currently dosing 17ml of ESV A&B daily. Thank you in advance, Randy

Easiest was I found to keep pH up with carbon dosing is to run my skimmer air inlet through my wall to the outside. Has done wonders. 8.2 DTH and 8.0 NTL.
Unfortunately, this is not an easy option for me but I do have the skimmer air intlet attached to a CO2 scrubber. Before vinegar, it helped significantly with pH but now, not enough.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 mL of vinegar contains 2.5 grams (42 millimoles) of acetic acid. So if that is fully neutralized, it adds 42 milliequivalents of alkalinity to the tank. In 150 gallons (568 L), this is 42 meq/568 L = 0.074 meq/L = 0.2 dKH. Then there will be an very tiny amount of calcium hydroxide dissolved in the 50 mL.

Thus, the total alk and calcium added is small.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 mL of vinegar contains 2.5 grams (42 millimoles) of acetic acid. So if that is fully neutralized, it adds 42 milliequivalents of alkalinity to the tank. In 150 gallons (568 L), this is 42 meq/568 L = 0.074 meq/L = 0.2 dKH. Then there will be an very tiny amount of calcium hydroxide dissolved in the 50 mL.

Thus, the total alk and calcium added is small.
Relieved to read that the impact will be minimal on the Alk. How much calcium hydroxide should I be mixing into the vinegar dosing container? Do I just stir it and let it settle?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relieved to read that the impact will be minimal on the Alk. How much calcium hydroxide should I be mixing into the vinegar dosing container? Do I just stir it and let it settle?

when I did it, I just added enough calcium hydroxide that after shaking a few minutes, some solids remained that settled to the bottom. Then use the mostly clear liquid on top.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I did it, I just added enough calcium hydroxide that after shaking a few minutes, some solids remained that settled to the bottom. Then use the mostly clear liquid on top.
To clarify, are you mixing your top off RODI water with kalkwasser & vinegar? Or mixing purely kalk and vinegar and dosing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, are you mixing your top off RODI water with kalkwasser & vinegar? Or mixing purely kalk and vinegar and dosing?

I took the bottle of vinegar from the grocery store, and added dry calcium hydroxide to it, shook it up, let it settle, and manually dosed the clear liquid.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there ever an update on this? I am having the same issue with low PH while dosing NOPOX.
I saw the same thing and I have now set my Apex DOS to dose NOPOX when my pH begins to rise in the morning after the lights being on. Also to stop dosing 5 hours before the lights go off. This seems to have helped the bigger drops in pH I observed before. Interestingly, I see a big ORP drop 1 to 1.5 hours after starting dosing NOPOX in the morning.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there ever an update on this? I am having the same issue with low PH while dosing NOPOX.

The same thing will work with NOPOX to prevent any immediate pH drop when dosing it, but all organic carbon dosing produces CO2 and thus causes a pH drop to some extent. Adding calcium hydroxide to NOPOX will not be as effective as to vinegar (and would be almost no use at all in vodka alone), but it is of some value in terms of pH.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the drop in ORP I mentioned shortly after NOPOX dosing begins in the morning

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-124446.png
    Screenshot_20220519-124446.png
    71 KB · Views: 37

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the drop in ORP I mentioned shortly after NOPOX dosing begins in the morning

Can you clarify what we are looking at? When and where is ORP dropping and when did you dose the NOPOX?

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify what we are looking at? When and where is ORP dropping and when did you dose the NOPOX?

Apologies, the phone screenshot was not perfect so here is a better picture. The DOS starts dosing NOPOX at 9:00am at 0.1ml every 13 minutes indicated by the blue lines. By 10:30am, I see the ORP drop by approximately 30 over 2 hours and then it starts to rise again. NOPOX is dosed until 16:00 and although I see the drop in ORP, my pH has improved when dosing NOPOX only when my pH is rising while the lights are on. Before this, I was dosing some of the NOPOX when my lights were off and pH low and that seem to keep my pH lower than I observe now.
Screenshot 2022-05-19 18.32.30.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, the phone screenshot was not perfect so here is a better picture. The DOS starts dosing NOPOX at 9:00am at 0.1ml every 13 minutes indicated by the blue lines. By 10:30am, I see the ORP drop by approximately 30 over 2 hours and then it starts to rise again. NOPOX is dosed until 16:00 and although I see the drop in ORP, my pH has improved when dosing NOPOX only when my pH is rising while the lights are on. Before this, I was dosing some of the NOPOX when my lights were off and pH low and that seem to keep my pH lower than I observe now.
Screenshot 2022-05-19 18.32.30.png

ORP naturally falls as pH rises. Might that be the nature of the ORP change you are seeing?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the bottle of vinegar from the grocery store, and added dry calcium hydroxide to it, shook it up, let it settle, and manually dosed the clear liquid.
A friendly suggestion to those who might try this for the first time,

Buy vinegar in glass, not plastic bottles! I added calcium hydroxide to a plastic bottle of vinegar as Randy suggests and used it for a while. Then, I backed offon vinegar dosing while I tried to deal with some other problems. The calcium hydroxide in the bottom of the vinegar bottle ate a hole through the bottom of the bottle. Fortunately, I notice the leak before it all poured out! I should have known better. Probably put too much calcium hydroxide in the bottle.:face-with-rolling-eyes::face-with-open-mouth::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I never had an issue with 1 gallon plastic jugs of vinegar from Stop and Shop.

Can you see a recycling code on the plastic bottle?
I'll look the next time I go to the grocery store, food lion brand.The bottle was clear, fairly stiff plastic as opposed to the kind used for milk or orange juice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back