Low PH

BradN88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone... somewhat freshly cycled 13.5 gallon nano... clownfish, six line wrasse, few members of a clean-up crew.

Temp-79
Salinity-1.025
PH-7.8
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate->20
Calcium a little high at 480
Alkalinity was low (7.9), dosed ALK over a few days, now at 10.

I test in the early afternoon and am finding my PH at 7.8... I tested some saltwater I had mixed up in the basement, which tested at 8.2.

I've read a lot about windows, oxygen and not chasing PH. My tank is in my living room with four windows... I'm in Vermont, so clearly doors and windows are closed. I have two small power heads and the tank pump had two head, both pointed a the surface for agitation - no skimmer.

I'm planning to add one more fish and a shrimp before the corals.

Anything to be concerned about here?

Thanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What alk supplement do you use? Also, I assume you have the stock lid?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a current usa marine light... I use seachem reef fusion.

You might benefit from something like brs soda ash for your alk supplement. You have to dose it slowly but it can boost the pH.

I forgot to ask, what pH test?

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't add pH adjusting chemicals or additional alkalinity products (unless you need to up your Alk). As you stated, don't chase pH. 7.8 pH is just fine. Your issue is carbon dioxide, so stop breathing! :rolleyes:

If it was my tank, I wouldn't do anything. But if you wish, increase water agitation/bubbling. Also, if you have a sump with refugium, run the light cycle in the refugium opposite to your lights in the DT. And this one is difficult, run an air-line from the outside to your skimmer.

But again, I wouldn't do anything....7.8 is fine.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't add pH adjusting chemicals or additional alkalinity products (unless you need to up your Alk). As you stated, don't chase pH. 7.8 pH is just fine. Your issue is carbon dioxide, so stop breathing! :rolleyes:

If it was my tank, I wouldn't do anything. But if you wish, increase water agitation/bubbling. Also, if you have a sump with refugium, run the light cycle in the refugium opposite to your lights in the DT. And this one is difficult, run an air-line from the outside to your skimmer.

He already doses alk, I am suggesting that he might see some benefit from using purely carbonates instead of bicarbonates. He wants his pH higher.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be out of the norm. But fall winter and early spring I don't use a co2 scrubber at all. But summer and part of spring I do. That's when my ph drops way below 7.8 ph. The rest of the time when I don't run a co2 scrubber its steady at between 8.0 and 8.1. Old house have replaced the upstairs windows. But the bas4ment windows are original fro the 1940s. Same glass and etc. Although they need to he resealed. This winter was the worst yet temp wise. The past 3 weeks been running 4 heaters just to keep the tank at between 77 and 78 degrees .

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What had worked for me is bubble scrubbing, I just got a wooden air stone and run it next to the return pump, only during the night though. Also a protein skimmer would help.

janlet5035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my tank ph is at 7.75 most of the time should i worry?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back