Low return in AIO?

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Always kind of wondered this, but is there any reason to not plumb the return line of an AIO sump at the bottom of the tank? Planning a bare bottom system, and it seems like it would be a great way to keep the bottom clean. While I wouldn’t get the added surface tension, there will be a powerhead in the tank so I’m not worried about that. Pictures below. Any feedback is appreciated!

4E92EFE4-D7E8-4DFF-A109-B5F47826AB39.jpeg
A9F78AD8-CB1F-43B7-9A4F-CB317CCC7C1D.jpeg
47A3753B-27C5-4E9D-9CCE-35A0C047C74B.jpeg

andrewey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've been sitting here for five minutes and I can't come up with a reason why not in an AIO tank. Good question!

OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
I've been sitting here for five minutes and I can't come up with a reason why not in an AIO tank. Good question!
literally been thinking about it for months and haven't come up with anything either, besides the sand bed issues that @roblox84 mentioned. lol bare bottom here we come!

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
literally been thinking about it for months and haven't come up with anything either, besides the sand bed issues that @roblox84 mentioned. lol bare bottom here we come!
I'd say due to it being at the bottom if a leak or you turn of that particular pump a back siphoning can happen, reminds me of a older version of closed loop water flow , I'd use it for sure on a BBR

Mega Meltdown After Sale

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
I'd say due to it being at the bottom if a leak or you turn of that particular pump a back siphoning can happen, reminds me of a older version of closed loop water flow , I'd use it for sure on a BBR
It's a all in one tank how and where would a back siphon be created or go?

OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
It's a all in one tank how and where would a back siphon be created or go?
All good thoughts for sure, and I agree it probably wouldn't be safe on a tank with an overflow/sump, but for an AIO I don't see any reason a little back flow through the pump when it is turned off is a problem. I appreciate all the thoughts!

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
I stand corrected I didn't see it was in the back sump area, i didn't see the pics till now I do apologize,
No need to apologize were only human and all friends here to help. My statement was asking you a question as I could have been wrong

Mega Meltdown After Sale

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I can't honestly come up with a reason as to where that wouldn't work but I also can't come up with a reason as to why that would be advantageous. Return up high and powerhead down low vs return down low and powerhead up high.

Have you accomplished something in reefing that someone else said wouldn't work?

• Yes and it was... (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 85 77.3%
  • I tried but they were right....(tell us in the thread)

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • I didn't try it...(what was it?)

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 5 4.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors