Low return in AIO?

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always kind of wondered this, but is there any reason to not plumb the return line of an AIO sump at the bottom of the tank? Planning a bare bottom system, and it seems like it would be a great way to keep the bottom clean. While I wouldn’t get the added surface tension, there will be a powerhead in the tank so I’m not worried about that. Pictures below. Any feedback is appreciated!

4E92EFE4-D7E8-4DFF-A109-B5F47826AB39.jpeg
A9F78AD8-CB1F-43B7-9A4F-CB317CCC7C1D.jpeg
47A3753B-27C5-4E9D-9CCE-35A0C047C74B.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sitting here for five minutes and I can't come up with a reason why not in an AIO tank. Good question!

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sitting here for five minutes and I can't come up with a reason why not in an AIO tank. Good question!
literally been thinking about it for months and haven't come up with anything either, besides the sand bed issues that @roblox84 mentioned. lol bare bottom here we come!

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
literally been thinking about it for months and haven't come up with anything either, besides the sand bed issues that @roblox84 mentioned. lol bare bottom here we come!
I'd say due to it being at the bottom if a leak or you turn of that particular pump a back siphoning can happen, reminds me of a older version of closed loop water flow , I'd use it for sure on a BBR

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say due to it being at the bottom if a leak or you turn of that particular pump a back siphoning can happen, reminds me of a older version of closed loop water flow , I'd use it for sure on a BBR
It's a all in one tank how and where would a back siphon be created or go?

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected I didn't see it was in the back sump area, i didn't see the pics till now I do apologize,

OP
OP
Medical_Reef

Medical_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a all in one tank how and where would a back siphon be created or go?
All good thoughts for sure, and I agree it probably wouldn't be safe on a tank with an overflow/sump, but for an AIO I don't see any reason a little back flow through the pump when it is turned off is a problem. I appreciate all the thoughts!

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected I didn't see it was in the back sump area, i didn't see the pics till now I do apologize,
No need to apologize were only human and all friends here to help. My statement was asking you a question as I could have been wrong

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't honestly come up with a reason as to where that wouldn't work but I also can't come up with a reason as to why that would be advantageous. Return up high and powerhead down low vs return down low and powerhead up high.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back