Low Return nozzle plumbing

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been thinking of plumbing my new tank with high and low return nozzles. I saw something similar on the red sea max S tank but on YouTube but was wondering if anyone has every done one themselves.

Basically the return would out put flow at the back of the tank. Two at the top and two below which would basically eliminate the need for wavemakers at the back or would function like MP10s on the back wall. I have some ideas but would love to hear your opinions.

JoshH

Tank Status: Drier than Fins... .... but clean!
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been thinking of plumbing my new tank with high and low return nozzles. I saw something similar on the red sea max S tank but on YouTube but was wondering if anyone has every done one themselves.

Basically the return would out put flow at the back of the tank. Two at the top and two below which would basically eliminate the need for wavemakers at the back or would function like MP10s on the back wall. I have some ideas but would love to hear your opinions.
You are essentially looking at a closed loop system so to speak. Minus the flow alternating equipment. Are you looking for bulkheads drilled into the back of the tank or having it plumbed inside the tank with somewhat visible plumbing?

FWIW you wouldn't get the same performance using your return in such a fashion as you can't alternate flow like you can with powerheads.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
If you plan on using your return pump to feed the low nozzles, you run the risk of draining your tank and causing a flood, if the power goes out.

JoshH

Tank Status: Drier than Fins... .... but clean!
View Badges
Reaction score
If you plan on using your return pump to feed the low nozzles, you run the risk of draining your tank and causing a flood, if the power goes out.
Not if they are plumbed a certain way with the upper return outlets near the water level Tee'd off the same line that runs to the lower one and its plumbed with a "U" above the top return. The top return would break the siphon on the pipe once the water lever goes lower than it which would prevent the flood. But it would have to be plumbed in this specific way or it wouldn't work and absolutely drain the tank.

Certainly a serious issue and one absolutely worth mentioning but can be prevented by plumbing it correctly :)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
The bottom return piping needs a hole drilled at the water line for a siphon break at least and for extra a check valve installed.

Corals.com

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Any time you depend on a siphon break hole or a check valve you run the risk of a flood.
I've seen it and experienced it more than once.

OP
Saintnovakai

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I was using the Tapatalk app and due to some changes with Reef2Reef etc I got no updates.

Well I was planning to run it like was mentioned above where the setup would be just like a normal return with the syphon break but another output extended down to the lower part of the tank and vented via a bulkead or some kind of eyeball nozzle or just a grate style bulkead. The syphon break would work just the same as the lower bulkead wouldn't suck anymore than the top would allow.

Im really aiming for a cleaner setup than powerheads facing the front from the back to flush detritus forward and clear dead spots between rocks. If even put a one way valve so it reinforces the syphon break.

What y'all think?

Any special reefing plans for this week?

• Yes

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 14.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Your Reef
Battlecorals