Low Return nozzle plumbing

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I've been thinking of plumbing my new tank with high and low return nozzles. I saw something similar on the red sea max S tank but on YouTube but was wondering if anyone has every done one themselves.

Basically the return would out put flow at the back of the tank. Two at the top and two below which would basically eliminate the need for wavemakers at the back or would function like MP10s on the back wall. I have some ideas but would love to hear your opinions.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I've been thinking of plumbing my new tank with high and low return nozzles. I saw something similar on the red sea max S tank but on YouTube but was wondering if anyone has every done one themselves.

Basically the return would out put flow at the back of the tank. Two at the top and two below which would basically eliminate the need for wavemakers at the back or would function like MP10s on the back wall. I have some ideas but would love to hear your opinions.

You are essentially looking at a closed loop system so to speak. Minus the flow alternating equipment. Are you looking for bulkheads drilled into the back of the tank or having it plumbed inside the tank with somewhat visible plumbing?

FWIW you wouldn't get the same performance using your return in such a fashion as you can't alternate flow like you can with powerheads.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on using your return pump to feed the low nozzles, you run the risk of draining your tank and causing a flood, if the power goes out.

Not if they are plumbed a certain way with the upper return outlets near the water level Tee'd off the same line that runs to the lower one and its plumbed with a "U" above the top return. The top return would break the siphon on the pipe once the water lever goes lower than it which would prevent the flood. But it would have to be plumbed in this specific way or it wouldn't work and absolutely drain the tank.

Certainly a serious issue and one absolutely worth mentioning but can be prevented by plumbing it correctly :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any time you depend on a siphon break hole or a check valve you run the risk of a flood.
I've seen it and experienced it more than once.

OP
OP
Saintnovakai

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I was using the Tapatalk app and due to some changes with Reef2Reef etc I got no updates.

Well I was planning to run it like was mentioned above where the setup would be just like a normal return with the syphon break but another output extended down to the lower part of the tank and vented via a bulkead or some kind of eyeball nozzle or just a grate style bulkead. The syphon break would work just the same as the lower bulkead wouldn't suck anymore than the top would allow.

Im really aiming for a cleaner setup than powerheads facing the front from the back to flush detritus forward and clear dead spots between rocks. If even put a one way valve so it reinforces the syphon break.

What y'all think?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you want a clean look without powerheads, why not a closed loop?
I really like the one on my 240.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Loc-line with a random flow generator nozzle

1566078362163.png

1566078376914.png

OP
OP
Saintnovakai

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thing the RFG too. I'll have to look up closed loops. Always say them coming from the bottom of the tank but I'm not feeling that. Could I see yours @mfinn ?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thing the RFG too. I'll have to look up closed loops. Always say them coming from the bottom of the tank but I'm not feeling that. Could I see yours @mfinn ?

Closed loops can be in the back or bottom or both or neither you can (Assuming you have a canopy) even drop the outlets down from the top of the tank.

OP
OP
Saintnovakai

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks kinda like what I envisioned except the overflow part at the to would have a T that leads down the back to the lower outlet. All other plumbing will be similar with syphon break and a U bend that leads to the return pump. Maybe even a Y one way valve along the line just wanted to make sure. Didn't exactly want to use more than one pump.

Could we see the front shot of your tank? Want to see how your outlet looks coming into the tank. It's beautiful.

OP
OP
Saintnovakai

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read up on the closed loop system. Kinda didn't want to use an extra pump. Was thinking maybe us wavemakers higher up and use a gate valve to throttle the output of the overflow pipes to skew the force down to the lower exits. Any better ideas?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Read up on the closed loop system. Kinda didn't want to use an extra pump. Was thinking maybe us wavemakers higher up and use a gate valve to throttle the output of the overflow pipes to skew the force down to the lower exits. Any better ideas?
You want surface skimming from your overflow.
Not sure what you mean by restricting the drains to force water to the lower exists.

OP
OP
Saintnovakai

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want surface skimming from your overflow.
Not sure what you mean by restricting the drains to force water to the lower exists.

I mean that if I do the high and low bulkheads as proposed, I wouldn't be able to control the pressure between the top and bottom outlets without a ball valve. Since I plan to use wavemakers at the surface I wouldn't have to rely on the top return outlet giving me as much flow. I'd only really need it agitate the surface a little and to syphon break.

Back