low salinity during cycle

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
checked my salinity was at 1.024. now it’s at 1.020 how do i raise it? beginning of cycle day 1. tested 24 hours after tank was running

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Raise it gradually adding water At 1.026and retesting each 12-24 hrs
What instrument are you using to test salinity ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

mrbluewildcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it alone. Don't do any water changes and I wouldn't even bother testing for 3 or 4 days if you started with 3-5 ppm ammonia. Add more ammonia if it drops to zero, then nitrites should begin to be present. Once you get a nitrate reading, you're cycled. At that point you can raise the salinity by replacing evaporated water with saltwater instead of RODI water if you want, that will give you a gradual increase though not really necessary with no livestock, but it's an easy way and you have to add water anyway.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use cheaper salt for the cycle. Since most people change 100% of the water anyway

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a sump and an automatic top off?

Most likely just the salt giving a different reading hours after the initial mix. Mine usually tests right on, then 12 hours later I may have to adjust the salt bin up just a touch.

If you are already running a sump and an ato, make sure you've taped a fill-to line on your sump and that the level in your sump and DT remain stable. Lots of potential quirks in new tank plumbing that can lead to the ATO overfilling and dropping your salinity. No real concern to you atm, but best to get it sorted now, if that's the case.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming no livestock, I would double check salinity and if still low, add salt directly to the tank until it's where I want it.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a sump and an automatic top off?

Most likely just the salt giving a different reading hours after the initial mix. Mine usually tests right on, then 12 hours later I may have to adjust the salt bin up just a touch.

If you are already running a sump and an ato, make sure you've taped a fill-to line on your sump and that the level in your sump and DT remain stable. Lots of potential quirks in new tank plumbing that can lead to the ATO overfilling and dropping your salinity. No real concern to you atm, but best to get it sorted now, if that's the case.
no to ato. I’m still in my cycle. it’s an AIO tank: sump is in the back

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it alone. Don't do any water changes and I wouldn't even bother testing for 3 or 4 days if you started with 3-5 ppm ammonia. Add more ammonia if it drops to zero, then nitrites should begin to be present. Once you get a nitrate reading, you're cycled. At that point you can raise the salinity by replacing evaporated water with saltwater instead of RODI water if you want, that will give you a gradual increase though not really necessary with no livestock, but it's an easy way and you have to add water anyway.
yeah my ammonia was 0 last night so I put a shrimp in

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought with a new reefer and a new tank with salinity "problems" is testing error. Just one of many bumps on the learning curve. There's other possibilities like over-filling with topoff water and such, but this seems most likely.

-make sure your refractometer is calibrated with 35ppt calibration fluid. Some of them need to be checked as much as weekly for accuracy. Some will argue that calibration is done with RODI, but scientific instruments should always be calibrated as close to the expected test results as possible.

-make sure you are cleaning your dropper and lens with RODI water after use and before a test, and to flush both with tank water before taking a sample. It doesn't take much dried salt water to mess up the salt concentration in 3 drops of water.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought with a new reefer and a new tank with salinity "problems" is testing error. Just one of many bumps on the learning curve. There's other possibilities like over-filling with topoff water and such, but this seems most likely.

-make sure your refractometer is calibrated with 35ppt calibration fluid. Some of them need to be checked as much as weekly for accuracy. Some will argue that calibration is done with RODI, but scientific instruments should always be calibrated as close to the expected test results as possible.

-make sure you are cleaning your dropper and lens with RODI water after use and before a test, and to flush both with tank water before taking a sample. It doesn't take much dried salt water to mess up the salt concentration in 3 drops of water.
yeah I know that... my guess is calibration error. I gotta get some fluid and recalibrate it.

brian2kgt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it be and raise it after the cycle is complete. Like bjc451 said, Dr. Tim Hovanec actually recommends a salinity around 1.015 during the cycle. He says the bacteria will multiply faster because they are using less energy to maintain cell shape and can put more energy into dividing. I highly recommend to anyone who is interested to learn more about the science of the cycle or how to speed up the cycle to watch his MACNA 2019 presentation. You can skip to about the 12 minute mark if you want to see the stuff about salinity.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a quick little update on anyone who is following. my salinity raised to 1.024 overnight. glass was foggy so I cleaned it off with my aquarium brush. re-tested 24 hours later. and it’s back to 1.024 where I had it before. didn’t do anything, just re-tested.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back