lower salinity in fish only tanks ??

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is simply that I've seen no evidence that lower salinity is "better" for fish, unless it is part of an active treatment regimen (hyposalinity). I don't know if lower salinity is any "worse" for fish, but it isn't natural so I personally would stay away from it. The problem I have is online vendors shipping fish at low salinities, creating more work for me to bring my QT's salinity up to my reef,
Keeping fish in a glass box isn't natural neither, but we do it anyway.

Last edited:

bhabert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the scientific proof? I searched and read through a few published papers, and though these studies were mostly oriented around commercially raised fish, they cited that the best osmoregulation for saltwater fish in general, typically occurred at the salinity of a fish's natural environment. It is known that parasites can thrive at salinities above hyposalinity and even a few strains can supposedly exist at hypo levels. True, the lower salinity you go, it is likely that more and more parasite strains are affected as it is it is below what they encounter in nature. However, does anybody really know how much impact?

My point is, if a fish that literally bathes in its environment and has evolved and adapted to that environment, there is going to have to be some serious scientific proof that fish actually fair better long term in a different environment, before I'll jump on the lower salinity bandwagon.
The lady that runs my local fish store has been in the business for over 30 years and maintains commercial tanks all over my area. She says 1.018 is ideal salinity for fish only, because it reduces stress and parasites don’t like it. You can find publications that say about anything you want to hear, but lower salinity in fish-only tanks has worked well for me!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lady that runs my local fish store has been in the business for over 30 years and maintains commercial tanks all over my area. She says 1.018 is ideal salinity for fish only, because it reduces stress and parasites don’t like it. You can find publications that say about anything you want to hear, but lower salinity in fish-only tanks has worked well for me!
No doubt about that. Dropping salt quickly not a problem. Raising it quickly is bad. Skimmer won’t work as well in lower salinity too

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run at 1.015 for my fish only. Tried 1.010 and the fish were fine but not as radiant and colorful.

reef pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to argue with you. Or take the time to find “scientific proof” . Have been in the hobby for decades and only trying to share my experience. Have witnessed what i’v shared many times over, again and again. That’s all the proof I need.
I’m not suggesting hypo for long term. But on the lower end of things, and lower than what need be for coral or inverts in a fish only is fine.
I know this is an old conversation from many years ago...but I have been running low salinity for 6 months now and even my Copperband is doing fine (5 years if you can believe it) and all my Culerpa Algae , hair algae, is virtually gone.....

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR? I can understand disease mitigation with lower salinity but without corals the med choices are almost wide open, short of copper that is
@blaxsun ”Nuke it from space, that’s the only way to be sure”

waltee1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old conversation from many years ago...but I have been running low salinity for 6 months now and even my Copperband is doing fine (5 years if you can believe it) and all my Culerpa Algae , hair algae, is virtually gone.....
How low?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back