Lowering Co2 in a house?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m trying to raise my PH for my reef and currently dosing kalk. In the summer I can hit above 8ph and now that it’s getting cold, I’m pushing 7.6 to 7.9 from manually testing throughout the day with a Milwaukee digital device.

Ive considered drilling through my floor to have the skimmer intake outside but figured I’d ask about the bigger issue of Co2 in the house w/windows closed.

So… how do you guys lower co2 in the house?
A buddy recommended a co2 monitor and possibly programming my hvac to turn the fan on.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my tank in a very small office room and ph got down to 7.2-7.4 regularly.

I dont have a skimmer but I have airstone on the tank, so I moved the air pump outside of the room, still inside the house, but very close to a flat roofs air gap, now ph is stable 7.9+, while the tank is still in the small office room with high co2.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The obvious option is kick and kids, dogs, and/or wife out.....alternatively you could all breath less.

Possibly more reasonable approach(but can be pricey) are air exchangers. Of course venting the house without using a fancy air exchanger works also, but in the wrong climate that's often not a reasonable answer.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 scrubber is probably best if you can't open a window, or have a long run to pull outside air from. That way you don't have to suffer from oxygen deprivation, grow a jungle, or hermetically seal the tank for a controlled atmosphere.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have Air lines run to the skimmer from the outside. Filter on the intake. Had to go through 10 inches of concrete to get the line, so I appreciate your logistics concerns. This helped a lot.
I also do have a cheap Amazon CO2 monitor which helps me to understand how different things affect the ambient air. Cheapest best tool i have bought

even crack the window a little bit in the cold will help in my experience. That’s easier said for me in Georgia than you and Idaho, smile.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply all.

Ive considered a co2 scrubber but don’t like having to swap out media every 2 weeks.

Would running skimmer air into the crawl be the same as exposed to sunny side?

besides apex, GHL, hydros or seneye, anyone using a PH meter that logs data?
Hana Halo 2 seems like a good possibility?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive considered a co2 scrubber but don’t like having to swap out media every 2 weeks.

I have my airline to my drafty garage door. Not outside but very drafty. It does help.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do keep a monitor running. When it tracks over 550ppm I open a bunch of windows for a brief period. It is going to build back up gradually.

What's really surprising is how high the outdoor count can get in the Summer here. With a Southwest wind, I get NYC air which can easily exceed 550. No point in opening windows then.

Anyway, I do run KALK at about 4 liters a cycle -- mostly overnight.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ERV unit installed ideally, but for me a drill bit and a hole through the side of my house was a cheaper solution for my reef. This of course does not address the co2 in the house much.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Have you thought about recirculating the air in a co2 scrubber with the skimmer? You should be able to get a couple of months usage of the co2 media before having to change it out this way.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood CO2 reactors when you could dose sodium hydroxide straight into the tank. Just make sure you don't overshoot the immediate ph change and you calculate the amount by your alk consumption. Its something I would highly recommend with the caveat of using a doser that doesn't lose its memory during a power outage. That can raise your ph by 0.25-0.5 depending on what % of your alk you're supplementing with the sodium hydroxide.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood CO2 reactors when you could dose sodium hydroxide straight into the tank. Just make sure you don't overshoot the immediate ph change and you calculate the amount by your alk consumption. Its something I would highly recommend with the caveat of using a doser that doesn't lose its memory during a power outage. That can raise your ph by 0.25-0.5 depending on what % of your alk you're supplementing with the sodium hydroxide.

I think because sodium hydroxide is nasty stuff (I deal with it at work and the risks cannot be understated) and a lot of people don’t want to handle it or have it in their homes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back