Skimmer WITHOUT Removing Nutrients?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my system is not yet in a place where I need additional nutrient export (just running a fleece roller so far). However, CO2 buildup in my house is causing reduced pH.

Is it possible to set up my skimmer, but tune it so it DOESN’T strip the nutrients? In other words, can I intentionally set it up to run really inefficiently? If that’s the case I could run an air intake tube outside to get lower CO2 levels into the system, and possibly also run a CO2 scrubber.

Opening the windows isn’t really an option because if the cold weather. A refugium is on my to-do list but again, my nutrients are already borderline low.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t but if you’ve made up your mind on this, I would just open up the gate valve until the water level in skimmer is just below the skimmer neck.
Run the air line outside, will suck in fresh air from outside and ph levels should go up.
I have the same issue in my house, a lot of homes are much more energy efficient now days and just don’t get a lot of fresh air from outside now days.
Drawing in the outside air, My ph usually doesn’t drop below 8.0 during the night, daytime gets to 8.2.
If I disconnect the outside air line, my ph drops into 7.9’s.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the cup, open the water control so it doesnt go into cup, either option is just going to drive co2 out of the water. If cup is on there is a chance you may collect some at some point during running. No cup no collection water just overflows back into sump. Outside air is a good idea just be aware that any contaminants from outside will also be drawn into tank. As long as no one is smoking, spraying chemicals, burning wood, leaves, near or upwind of intake you should be good.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it? Does that get the outside of the skimmer messy? Does it smell bad?

I’m new and have never used a skimmer before :)
No, it won’t smell bad at all because there will be no skimmate collected.

There will be a little splashing from it and salt will stick to the sides, but nothing you can’t get rid of with a little wiping. But that’s just if you’re OCD (like me, lol) because it’s really not necessary.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all. However, I would recommend keeping the cup on, especially if it’s under the the tank in a cabinet sump or anywhere remotely close to anything you don’t want moist and covered in salt. The mist and extra humidity may be a nuisance. As mentioned above dial the water level down and or leave the drain open if it has one. I often state that my skimmer is just a jumbo air stone (I have mine dialed down but I do collect a tiny amount of skimmate….I empty the cup maybe once every two months).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will spend more buying airline and all of that than opening a few windows for a minute a day. Pennies of natural gas, if the head even drops at all. You just have to exchange air, not cool down the home.

If there is nothing to skim, then it won't really skim. Even if the tank is new and you are feeding fish, the skimmer can remove heavy metals that come in food that are bound to organics. I would run it.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Remove the cup, open the water control so it doesnt go into cup, either option is just going to drive co2 out of the water. If cup is on there is a chance you may collect some at some point during running. No cup no collection water just overflows back into sump. Outside air is a good idea just be aware that any contaminants from outside will also be drawn into tank. As long as no one is smoking, spraying chemicals, burning wood, leaves, near or upwind of intake you should be good.

Is there a decently realistic way to add a carbon filter in-line somewhere?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a decently realistic way to add a carbon filter in-line somewhere?
yeah sure. I diy'd one for my last reef life. Just a container with fleece and air filter carbon (not sure if gac would work or not and a couple nipples glued in. Im sure you could find something ready made that would work. I never had an issue but also didnt see any drastic ph differences I used kalk though too so maybe didnt need to get outside air. I live in a cold climate never saw drastic temp fluctuations.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely you won’t have much nutrients in a new tank for quite a while.
As mentioned above, skimmers export more than just nutrients, so I wouldn’t run it without a cup for long.

Have you considered dosing Nitrate and Phosphate to compensate?

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yeah sure. I diy'd one for my last reef life. Just a container with fleece and air filter carbon (not sure if gac would work or not and a couple nipples glued in. Im sure you could find something ready made that would work. I never had an issue but also didnt see any drastic ph differences I used kalk though too so maybe didnt need to get outside air. I live in a cold climate never saw drastic temp fluctuations.

I guess I wouldn’t even need to run it all the way outside. I could run it up into my attic and get much the same effect, with much less chance of contamination.

It’s likely you won’t have much nutrients in a new tank for quite a while.
As mentioned above, skimmers export more than just nutrients, so I wouldn’t run it without a cup for long.

Have you considered dosing Nitrate and Phosphate to compensate?

I don’t have a lot of nutrients. That’s why I’m worried about running the skimmer too soon :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: No I haven’t considered that but I suppose that is an option!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven’t considered that but I suppose that is an option!
Look up instructions for DIY solutions on the forum. It’s far cheaper than commercial solutions, and you will know exactly what you’re adding to your system.

Sodium/Calcium Nitrate and Monospdium/Trisodium Phosphate based supplements would be far better than their Potassium based alternatives you often see in the commercial stuff.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my system is not yet in a place where I need additional nutrient export (just running a fleece roller so far). However, CO2 buildup in my house is causing reduced pH.

Is it possible to set up my skimmer, but tune it so it DOESN’T strip the nutrients? In other words, can I intentionally set it up to run really inefficiently? If that’s the case I could run an air intake tube outside to get lower CO2 levels into the system, and possibly also run a CO2 scrubber.

Opening the windows isn’t really an option because if the cold weather. A refugium is on my to-do list but again, my nutrients are already borderline low.
I think you might be overanalyzing. No there is no reason to use your skimmer (as a skimmer) - without removing 'foods and toxins'. If you want to just use the skimmer as an airstone, as someone said - take the collection cup off).

if you want to use your skimmer to reduce Co2 effects, you need to run an outside line from your skimmer to the outside (which has various issues). Otherwise if you just take the air from near the tank it will not help much (if at all) unfortunately

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This thread uses an airstone and co2 scrubbers to lower co2 and increase pH.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back