CO2 scrubber without skimmer

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmerless CO2 Scrubber Build

I'm writing this build thread for a CO2 scrubber setup without the need for a skimmer since I had a difficult time finding anyone who had done this.

The plumbing is simple: air pump --> CO2 canister with sodalime --> an airstone placed in your sump or tank

1655391738972.jpeg

I will include the materials I used to build this but most of it can be substituted for what you already have or for something else. The only thing I will emphasize is to try and get an air pump with a similar strength and if it isn't adjustable, to add an inline adjustable airflow valve. This is important for 2 reasons: 1. you need sufficient airflow to push the air through the canister and into your airstone 2. being able to adjust the airflow will allow you to be able to use your sodalime in the most efficient way. I assume there is a ceiling effect with how much you can raise your CO2 and no matter how much airflow you have, you will not have additional rise in pH but you will definitely go through sodalime like crazy. The airline kit below includes some of those inline airflow adjustable valves.

Materials needed (total cost for this exact setup was a little over $125 USD):
-Hygger 10W Aquarium Air Pump with 2 Ports for 55~600 Gallon Fish Tank 250GPH

-JIH Aquarium Air Pump Accessories Set -25 Feet Airline Tubing Black Standard, Air Stones,Check Valves, Suction Cups and Connectors

-JoyTube Plastic Hose Barb Reducer Pipe fittings 3/8" to 3/16" Connectors

-Universal CO2 Scrubber - Bulk Reef Supply
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-universal-co2-scrubber.html

-JorVet Soda Lime, 3lb bag

I cannot comment on efficiency of soda lime use at this time, but I would not assume it to be much different from what is reported by others using the skimmer CO2 scrubber. I will come back to this thread and comment with how long it took before I had to change out the sodalime.

Below is the progressive change in pH I had since setting it up, my alkalinity was already at 12 dKH so I figured my only option to raise my pH was a CO2 scrubber. Seems to have a more stable range of pH fluctuation as well. You can see that I setup this scrubber on June 9th and has continued to slowly increase since then and bring the peak and troughs closer together. Now I am just adjusting the airflow rate down to maximize pH gain but minimize use of the sodalime.

1655393134985.png

1655393256142.png

If you have any questions about this setup let me know!

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Want to mention that this response in pH is not just the effect of a bubbler, as I tried just using a bubbler and saw no difference. My tank has good flow and water surface agitation, so it is truly the CO2 absorbent media doing the work.

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear:

pH results are posted above, with this setup I increased my pH from ~7.75-7.9 to 8.1-8.2. The only additional results I can provide is how long before I have to replace the media. I won't be able to comment on any differences in coral growth because I just haven't had the coral long enough at the lower pH to compare the difference at the higher pH. But since its the only parameter I'm changing I will assume if there is better growth it is because of the difference in pH attributed to the CO2 scrubber.

Although subjectively I think the polyps on my Euphyllia are much less retracted and seem fuller.

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't find the posts right now but this has been talked about several times with positive results.
Yes, I have seen a couple of posts but they were very difficult to find. I don't remember exactly what I searched when I found them, so I figured I would make a post here that is complete and specific to setting up a CO2 scrubber without a skimmer. I tried to say it a couple of different ways and used keywords so that it is easily searchable, for those interested in the future. I can't think of any reason it would work better or worse compared to those who hook theirs up to a skimmer.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have seen a couple of posts but they were very difficult to find. I don't remember exactly what I searched when I found them, so I figured I would make a post here that is complete and specific to setting up a CO2 scrubber without a skimmer. I tried to say it a couple of different ways and used keywords so that it is easily searchable, for those interested in the future. I can't think of any reason it would work better or worse compared to those who hook theirs up to a skimmer.
It is a pretty simple thing to set up. It would be hard to get it wrong. I'm surprised more folks don't try it. I should think one could increase the impact on pH by doing both.

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear:

pH results are posted above, with this setup I increased my pH from ~7.75-7.9 to 8.1-8.2. The only additional results I can provide is how long before I have to replace the media. I won't be able to comment on any differences in coral growth because I just haven't had the coral long enough at the lower pH to compare the difference at the higher pH. But since its the only parameter I'm changing I will assume if there is better growth it is because of the difference in pH attributed to the CO2 scrubber.

Although subjectively I think the polyps on my Euphyllia are much less retracted and seem fuller.

That's a nice jump in pH! I know you are still testing and don't have results yet but how long do you think the media would last? I'm thinking it should last longer since there's not as much being pumped through the media with an air pump versus a skimmer right?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice jump in pH! I know you are still testing and don't have results yet but how long do you think the media would last? I'm thinking it should last longer since there's not as much being pumped through the media with an air pump versus a skimmer right?
I have a medium size ice cap scrubber holds about 1 kilo of media. lasts about 2-3 weeks.
In a new house so the house is very sealed.
I noticed a similar response in pH. about 0.15-0.2 bump.

I bought a large bag of media from BRS that seals so I don’t have to order too often

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to make the media last longer you could run the air through an airstone inside of a canister full of water upstream of the media canister. The moisture lengthens the life of the media and it's easy to refill the water canister.
IMG_8048.JPG

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to make the media last longer you could run the air through an airstone inside of a canister full of water upstream of the media canister. The moisture lengthens the life of the media and it's easy to refill the water canister.
IMG_8048.JPG
Are you sure humidity is not affecting the media ability to change color once saturated? Why would water increase media performance?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure humidity is not affecting the media ability to change color once saturated? Why would water increase media performance?
Good question. As a non-chemist I don't know the details about how it chemically reacts. But it has been mentioned several times here and other forums. I also found this site while looking for more specifics,
The only thing I have firsthand knowledge of is that in my own experience it has lengthened the life of the media I use. (Yes, it still changes color.)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back