CO2 scrubber without skimmer

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You should be seeing bubbles….it could be clogged? Or try another one…your saying yours isn’t creating Bubbles?
Yeah it makes bubbles when it’s just the tube underwater. But when stone is attached it’s nothing maybe a tiny bit at the top…: they are brand new it’s like it’s too weak I guess it need to double check the tightness of everything

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for not updating everyone on this previously, but I am glad the original post has helped a few people. I actually no longer use this method as I upgraded to a larger tank and invested in a skimmer. When I was using the no skimmer CO2 scrubber on my 55 gallon I saw the initial increase from 7.8 to 8.2 but then it stabilized at about 8.0 and would drop to 7.8 when not using it. Still saw the typical fluctuations in pH due to seasonal causes of increased indoor CO2 (i.e. when it was really hot or really cold and the house stayed sealed, pretty much, with everyone inside) but the average pH was higher when using this scrubber. With this method I was probably using a 3lb bag every 2 months but definitely usage was increased during those times when CO2 concentrations in the house were probably higher.

When I upgraded to my 150 gallon tank, this little scrubber made no appreciable difference in pH. I wasn't quite sure what the issue was at first but with the larger tank I decided to invest in a protein skimmer as I intended to stock the tank some more and figured I needed a little extra assistance with nutrient export. I hooked up the CO2 scrubber as most do with the skimmer and immediately saw a rise in pH to about 8.1 from 7.8 over a few days (averaging about 8.2 now). From personal experience (and likely supported in the literature based on my understanding of aeration efficiency of skimmers) I believe protein skimmers do a much better job of gas exchange than airstones. With this size tank and the amount of air the protein skimmer sucks in, I was having to change out the CO2 media every 2 weeks. So my next project was to turn this CO2 scrubber into a recirculating one so that it was taking in the same air that was being produced by the skimmer so I essentially am not filtering CO2 out of the room air but rather what is released from the water by the skimmer. Unfortunately this has presented another problem with too much humidity collecting in the co2 scrubber submerging the media which makes it no longer useable. I wasn't able to capture pH results with this new scrubber but I will work on that since I have had it off for a couple of weeks while I have been out of town.

All in all, I think my original setup works great for smaller tanks but there are a ton of variabilities that contribute to people's success/failures. I will say that I think a protein skimmer so much more efficient at gas exchange that I would save up for that even if you don't intend to use it for nutrient export (you can always let any skimmate drip back in the tank). The gas exchange can even work against you sometimes, for example, I once ran out of soda lime and turned the skimmer on during the weekend when everyone in my house is essentially home and my pH dropped sharply to its lowest it ever has on the weekend (7.70). After turning it off mid-weekend it came back up and low was only 7.8. With the CO2 scrubber I usually hit lows at 7.9-ish depending on how much we open the windows/doors so I am assuming the skimmer was aerating with a much higher CO2 concentration over the weekend resulting in a much more rapid drop in pH as opposed to not having the skimmer on at all during that time.

I don't know just some food for thought, it makes sense in my head, but hopefully this information continues to help others. (also i know this is a bunch of "pH chasing" but its something I am just tinkering with to better understand how our hobby equipment factors into the biochemical interactions in our tanks)

P.S.- good part about starting out with the no skimmer method is that you don't lose any money if you decide to get a skimmer later. I am using the exact same scrubber and materials I bought for the no skimmer method, and the air pump I have for emergency tank setups, hospital tanks, etc.

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for not updating everyone on this previously, but I am glad the original post has helped a few people. I actually no longer use this method as I upgraded to a larger tank and invested in a skimmer. When I was using the no skimmer CO2 scrubber on my 55 gallon I saw the initial increase from 7.8 to 8.2 but then it stabilized at about 8.0 and would drop to 7.8 when not using it. Still saw the typical fluctuations in pH due to seasonal causes of increased indoor CO2 (i.e. when it was really hot or really cold and the house stayed sealed, pretty much, with everyone inside) but the average pH was higher when using this scrubber. With this method I was probably using a 3lb bag every 2 months but definitely usage was increased during those times when CO2 concentrations in the house were probably higher.

When I upgraded to my 150 gallon tank, this little scrubber made no appreciable difference in pH. I wasn't quite sure what the issue was at first but with the larger tank I decided to invest in a protein skimmer as I intended to stock the tank some more and figured I needed a little extra assistance with nutrient export. I hooked up the CO2 scrubber as most do with the skimmer and immediately saw a rise in pH to about 8.1 from 7.8 over a few days (averaging about 8.2 now). From personal experience (and likely supported in the literature based on my understanding of aeration efficiency of skimmers) I believe protein skimmers do a much better job of gas exchange than airstones. With this size tank and the amount of air the protein skimmer sucks in, I was having to change out the CO2 media every 2 weeks. So my next project was to turn this CO2 scrubber into a recirculating one so that it was taking in the same air that was being produced by the skimmer so I essentially am not filtering CO2 out of the room air but rather what is released from the water by the skimmer. Unfortunately this has presented another problem with too much humidity collecting in the co2 scrubber submerging the media which makes it no longer useable. I wasn't able to capture pH results with this new scrubber but I will work on that since I have had it off for a couple of weeks while I have been out of town.

All in all, I think my original setup works great for smaller tanks but there are a ton of variabilities that contribute to people's success/failures. I will say that I think a protein skimmer so much more efficient at gas exchange that I would save up for that even if you don't intend to use it for nutrient export (you can always let any skimmate drip back in the tank). The gas exchange can even work against you sometimes, for example, I once ran out of soda lime and turned the skimmer on during the weekend when everyone in my house is essentially home and my pH dropped sharply to its lowest it ever has on the weekend (7.70). After turning it off mid-weekend it came back up and low was only 7.8. With the CO2 scrubber I usually hit lows at 7.9-ish depending on how much we open the windows/doors so I am assuming the skimmer was aerating with a much higher CO2 concentration over the weekend resulting in a much more rapid drop in pH as opposed to not having the skimmer on at all during that time.

I don't know just some food for thought, it makes sense in my head, but hopefully this information continues to help others. (also i know this is a bunch of "pH chasing" but its something I am just tinkering with to better understand how our hobby equipment factors into the biochemical interactions in our tanks)

P.S.- good part about starting out with the no skimmer method is that you don't lose any money if you decide to get a skimmer later. I am using the exact same scrubber and materials I bought for the no skimmer method, and the air pump I have for emergency tank setups, hospital tanks, etc.
Good feedback……I did this setup only because I use a reefmat and not a skimmer, and my dt is 45 gallons, plus I have a fireplace in the same room….but yeah I’d go skimmer with bigger tank.

agentmikeyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. This is great info! Thank you. I am running a 10 gal display w a 10 gal sump. Same issue with PH at about 7:7. Do you think the air stone method will be effective for my system? (I don’t have skimmer). Thanks!

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. This is great info! Thank you. I am running a 10 gal display w a 10 gal sump. Same issue with PH at about 7:7. Do you think the air stone method will be effective for my system? (I don’t have skimmer). Thanks!

I also read this thread as I'm looking to do CO2 scrubbing on a nano (Fluval Evo 13.5g) without a protein skimmer. Did you try setting something up?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks OP for sharing, giving me a lot of good ideas! I am thinking about implementing a CO2 scrubber in a few of my tanks with lower than ideal pH. . . though only one of my tanks has a skimmer, which led me hear. I Saw someone mention that the skimmer offered better gas exchange when compared to an airstone, which I believe, but did anyone try diffusing the air through one of those wooden airstones meant for skimmers?

I was thinking about trying this method through one of there cause I already have one lying around:

Not really wanting/needing the skimming aspect, but might allow for the CO2 scrubbing action while partially minimizing micro bubbles in the tank. . .

Anyway, I will try to let everybody know if I go through with it.

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, I will try to let everybody know if I go through with it.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I finally figured out how to set up my IceCap scrubber in terms of the tubing and adapters etc., but am still experimenting with using chaeto instead. It's definitely raised my pH to a more acceptable level, but not quite where I want it.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you could make a super simple scrubber with these and some rigid airline tubing:
1711309426503.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back