Lowering dkh

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the safest amount you can lower dkh at a time. My dkh is a little high for me at 12.7 and calcium is at 480. I took my kalkwasser off line so I'm just naturally letting it come down. So now I'm just wanting to know what's the safest I can drop it at a time before I have to put kalwasser back on line. Trying to eventually get it down in the 9 dkh range

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^+1^^ I have to agree with @Copingwithpods. If all seems well, slower is better. I'm assuming it took some time for the alk level to elevate. If so, just monitor your levels as they drop and watch your corals. They will usually show you when they're unhappy.

OP
OP
brownjoshua475

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^+1^^ I have to agree with @Copingwithpods. If all seems well, slower is better. I'm assuming it took some time for the alk level to elevate. If so, just monitor your levels as they drop and watch your corals. They will usually show you when they're unhappy.
So it wont hurt the sps if I just let it come down to 9dkh on its own

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep yours at 9dkh, as stated above let it come down on its own. I use Red Sea Pro salt and the dkh is 11.5 to 12.5 for SPS tank. The dkh in other salts (example: Instant Ocean) are much lower. Just keep your Kh stable and you'll do great

OP
OP
brownjoshua475

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep yours at 9dkh, as stated above let it come down on its own. I use Red Sea Pro salt and the dkh is 11.5 to 12.5 for SPS tank. The dkh in other salts (example: Instant Ocean) are much lower. Just keep your Kh stable and you'll do great
Ok yesterday by dkh was 12.7 I would like it to come down to 9 dkh I just didnt know if that was to big of a drop or not and if it would kill any coral or not

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your Nitrates and Phosphates need a water change. If you need a water change than match the current dkh

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back