Lowering phosphates

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to get my Numbers in check. Here are my most recent parameters after water change. (The alk I'm bringing down-slowly...) but I seem to be having trouble getting my phosphates down. Any suggestions???

Screenshot_20200714-175134.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at 13.4, that’s a bit on high side.
Yup .9 phosphate is high, maybe consider the usual, WC’s, Skimming + maybe an LC product like Phosphate RX or GFO like Rowaphos, just make sure you always leave trace say...0.03-.2ppm

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO in a reactor. Chemipure blue in a reactor. Refugium. Run a combination of 2 or even three to get them down and then you could cut back and just use whatever maintains them in an acceptable range based on your feeding routine. Make sure if your using pellets to feed that they aren’t expired. The phosphate levels are higher in expired/old food(higher in dried food in general)
That’s how I do it. I don’t mess with carbon dosing(Vodka, sugar, etc.) and all that.
There’s also NO3PO4X from Red Sea that removes nitrates and phosphates. And dr. Tim makes something called waste away which lowers phosphate levels with bacteria. Ok that’s all I know lol

OP
OP
MightyMO

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at 13.4, that’s a bit on high side.
Yup .9 phosphate is high, maybe consider the usual, WC’s, Skimming + maybe an LC product like Phosphate RX or GFO like Rowaphos, just make sure you always leave trace say...0.03-.2ppm
I got the alk down from 13.4 to 12.7. Switched from Red Sea Coral Pro to the Red Sea Blue Bucket mix... Trying to bring it down slowly...

OP
OP
MightyMO

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started adding some microbacter7 yesterday. Was running 2littlefishies gfo, but wasn't seeing and improvement. My skimmer hasn't been functioning properly either. Just gave it a citric acid bath and lowered egg crate in sump to see if I could possibly tweak it to get it working right again...

OP
OP
MightyMO

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room in current sump for a reactor and or a refugium. If you look in my build thread, you will see I am almost set up to do a massive sump upgrade into my basement. Just waiting for a few more supplies...

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started adding some microbacter7 yesterday. Was running 2littlefishies gfo, but wasn't seeing and improvement. My skimmer hasn't been functioning properly either. Just gave it a citric acid bath and lowered egg crate in sump to see if I could possibly tweak it to get it working right again...
Microbacter 7 is not the same bacteria strains as in waste away.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room in current sump for a reactor and or a refugium. If you look in my build thread, you will see I am almost set up to do a massive sump upgrade into my basement. Just waiting for a few more supplies...
The 2 little fishies reactor hangs off the side of the tank/sump. With the pump inside

OP
OP
MightyMO

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54 gallon bowfront corner tank. No way to put a hob nothing on the aquarium and the sump area is tight (putting it nicely)

20200703_181527.jpg

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... enjoy your phosphates
I have a 54 gallon bowfront corner tank. No way to put a hob nothing on the aquarium and the sump area is tight (putting it nicely)

20200703_181527.jpg
i was talking Solely about the sump. Not the display. But hmmm I guess you need to try no3po4x or learn about carbon dosing ✌️

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back