Lowering SG during TTM or in QT?

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS keeps their water at an SG of 1.018. I will be TTMing three fish and plan to have my TTM tank(s) SG at 1.018 or whatever matches the bag water. After I TTM, I will place the fish in the QT for about 2-3 weeks. Then onto my DT where the SG is 1.025.

Can I slowly increase the SG during TTM (eg .001 every other 72 hr period) and do the remainder in the QT or should I do it all when the fish are in the QT? Will increasing from 1.018 to 1.025 in 2-3 weeks be too much in the QT?

Thanks!
Steve

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's a fine plan and many people do that. I do, although I ramp up the salinity faster.

If you can match the water temp and salinity to the water the fish are currently in, there's no need for acclimation to the QT and you can immediately dump them in. That dumping can be especially useful when you get a shipped fish, although it makes it more challenging to get the QT temp and salinity just right in advance. I have sometimes tried to do that with both warmed and cold salt water on hand, and some freshwater for adjusting salinity.

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, just to verify...it's ok to slowly adjust the SG while in TTM and do the rest in the big QT, right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, just to verify...it's ok to slowly adjust the SG while in TTM and do the rest in the big QT, right?

Sure. Any way to raise it that isn't too sudden is fine. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back