LPS coral dying

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220308-181456_Chrome.jpg

The units on the ULR Phosphate are ppm, and the units on the ULR phosphorus are ppb. None use ppt, unless you are converting the decimal?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I dose the reef energy daily. Heading to my lfs after work today to get some more test kits. Was going to order some coral from wwc since they have some decent sales but I think I’m going to wait and let things stabilize out.

How much do you dose daily? I would consider raising the dose

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried spot feeding it to them tonight, I’ll see if that helps

Usually the first thing I look to in a tank are the numbers and nitrate was the only concerning one when it came to being too low to possibly cause issues with the corals (phosphate yes but that more or less makes things more brittle).

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.43ppt NOT ppb. The OP states he is uses the ulr phosphate not the ulr phosphorus.
I went to my LFS, they think my phosphate and nitrates are to high (from only running my dads old wet/dry sump that only has mechanical filtration and bio balls. I mostly rely on my hang on fuge for nutrient export). I got a new sump with a protein skimmer and bio media for the fuge area. Im going to set it up and give it some time and see if that helps with my nutrients. Thanks for all your help.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral beauty
bingo

Water chemistry is important but IMO it ceases to be a useful diagnosis tool when some or most corals are fine... Missing LPS flesh and a fish that often likes to eat LPS? Far more probable especially based on the pattern of tissue loss than anything to do with your water.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS, they think my phosphate and nitrates are to high (from only running my dads old wet/dry sump that only has mechanical filtration and bio balls. I mostly rely on my hang on fuge for nutrient export). I got a new sump with a protein skimmer and bio media for the fuge area. Im going to set it up and give it some time and see if that helps with my nutrients. Thanks for all your help.

What did they say the nitrate level is?

PS as damsels are not mean said, you could have a fish nipping at the coral (this would suprise me though if the fish has been in there with the LPS for a while and is being fed a broad diet.

When was the coral beauty added?

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was watching the tank and noticed a little red growth on the side of the acan. Is this some sort of parasite that attacks lps? I dipped them before adding them to the tank.

Attachments

• 2E1FF965-88C5-441B-82CE-7180804B185C.jpeg
    2E1FF965-88C5-441B-82CE-7180804B185C.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did they say the nitrate level is?

PS as damsels are not mean said, you could have a fish nipping at the coral (this would suprise me though if the fish has been in there with the LPS for a while and is being fed a broad diet.

When was the coral beauty added?
He was the second fish I added to the tank, so about 8 months. I got a new nitrate test kit and it’s reading about 1 ppm.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was the second fish I added to the tank, so about 8 months. I got a new nitrate test kit and it’s reading about 1 ppm.

Ah yeah that is too little nitrate in most cases. I'd up the dosage of reef energy. Do you notice pieces of flesh missing as if something bit into the corals?

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yeah that is too little nitrate in most cases. I'd up the dosage of reef energy. Do you notice pieces of flesh missing as if something bit into the corals?
The frog spawn is missing flesh and is in the worst shape. The hammer still has its polyps but is closed all the time. I’ll up the dosage and start feeding more. I posted a pic of the acan, it looks like it has a small red growth coming out of the skeleton.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back