LPS corals that grow similarly to SPS coral?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for something unique to do with my tank. Now, I have plans for a clam (Currently have one in there) and as it’s only a small tank I didn’t want too much competition for the trace elements. I’m aware LPS will still take trace elements however they seem to be on the easier side of stony coral. The clam (Tridacna deresa) is happy and growing so I was looking for a coral that is similar in growth as many SPS or maybe a coral that won’t be quite as stingy compared to other LPS.
The tank is a Red Sea Max Nano and the clam will be swapped out for something slightly harder (Maxima or Crocea) when the time comes.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Branching LPS? All I can think of are duncans.

I think digipora, birds of paradise, and Montipora are very easy, low demanding SPS that will fulfill your aesthetic desires.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not go with easier sps, like Monti, setossa, stylopora and birds nest
Simple answer;
My blenny goes to town on any branching SPS. Ignores everything else but goes to town on frags of branching SPS. I had a Montipora spongoides that was doing great in my tank but it’s dying off as my fish constantly push it off the rock as if it’s a game.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer;
My blenny goes to town on any branching SPS. Ignores everything else but goes to town on frags of branching SPS
Ah, yes, this is a reasonable concern.

How about finger leather softies? :)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yes, this is a reasonable concern.

How about finger leather softies? :)
They’re beautiful! Definitely going to consider them :)

Also been looking for something my Black Clown Goby can perch on until my blenny passes (I love him but I also can’t wait till I can get 1-2 SPS into the tank)

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re beautiful! Definitely going to consider them :)

Also been looking for something my Black Clown Goby can perch on until my blenny passes (I love him but I also can’t wait till I can get 1-2 SPS into the tank)
Don’t clown gobies also pick at sps?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t clown gobies also pick at sps?
In pairs they can however, if the SPS is big enough they will only irritate some of it and not be able to kill it. They normally pick one spot they like and claim it as theirs, staying around it most of the time and “cleaning” the under side of it if they’re preparing for eggs.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Branching Cyphastrea.
48938915-5FC7-444C-A3B1-26E2D0FA806C.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for something unique to do with my tank. Now, I have plans for a clam (Currently have one in there) and as it’s only a small tank I didn’t want too much competition for the trace elements. I’m aware LPS will still take trace elements however they seem to be on the easier side of stony coral. The clam (Tridacna deresa) is happy and growing so I was looking for a coral that is similar in growth as many SPS or maybe a coral that won’t be quite as stingy compared to other LPS.
The tank is a Red Sea Max Nano and the clam will be swapped out for something slightly harder (Maxima or Crocea) when the time comes.

Easy....

Branching Cyphastrea​

edit: oh I got beat!

anching-cy-1-jpg.1117789

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very nice Cyphastrea! Is it low light one? Somehow i can only keep one kind (red one) in my tank.
Always liked the most branching one.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are a couple of lps I am thinking of, but I guess I am a bit confused on what you want. Is it a high light lps? An sps that is super easy to care for? An lps with tiny polyps? Something encrusting? If you can keep a clam, you can keep stony corals in general.

I wouldn't worry about trace elements. Simply dose them.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back