LPS lighting choice help.

reefslugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Planet Reef 120 gallon. (48''x24''x24''). After several attempts to try to keep SPS. Which I have failed at. I decided to go all LPS and softies. I kind of went crazy buying lights to keep an SPS tank. Now I have several lights to choose from for a LPS dominated tank. Can you help me choose the one I should go with? Here are the list of the lighting setups I have.

ATI 48'' eight bulb
Reef Builders Photon V2 50
2 Red Sea 90's
2 Radion G5 XR30 blues

Which one do you think will best and will not be over kill and burn up LPS?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would go with the ATI IF cost is not a concern. Replacing those bulbs fairly regularly can get pricey. Otherwise i would go with the photon.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just not true. I would argue it’s easier with halides and T5s since they are less adjustable/customizable.

absolutely wrong :) put that 8 bulb fixture right off the water, nothing with burn :)

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of those lights would grow LPS fine. Use whatever you prefer. A par meter may be a great benefit. Enjoy!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would go with the T5's. Maybe add some blue led strips for color pop. My favorites are Reef Brite XHO blues.
My LPS tank is doing great with my ATI T5 6 x 24 watt fixture. I have a pair of the XHO's too.
I have my fixture about 10" above the tank. My XHO's come on around 8-9am. 2 T5 bulbs come on at 10 am. The other 4 bulbs come on at noon and go until 2:30, with the other 2 on until 7.
Every time I think about switching to something else, I just look at the tank and count how many new torch heads and octo and hammer heads there are and put that thought aside.

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def use the t5's, I remember seeing a BRSTV video on how T5s give the most even par throughout your tank.

But I do like the colors corals get from the LEDs so I would def try to incorporate those Radions or the Red Sea 90s somehow if you have the room.

Just be careful not to blast corals with too much light

Back