LPS only Fluval Build

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife finally gave "All Clear" and I am setting up my nano reef in the basement next to my work space. Currently cycling with Microbacter Start XLM dry rock kit. Current plans for the tank is all LPS coral tank. Blastomussa (lots of Blastos! ), Acans, Favia, Hammers / Frogspawn, and Gonipora if it can handle the lighting and flow. Current plan is to keep the stock light from the Fluval Evo. The PAR rating I have seen looks like it should be able to support LPS no problem. If it does not, I plan to upgrade to the Fluval 3.0 bluetooth, that way I get a much better light without having to remove the hood.

I have made some of the usual upgrades.
-Chamber 1 media InTank Media Basket
-Chamber 2 media InTank Media Basket
-1/2 Random Flow Generator with 2 pieces of Loc-line ( works great, tested with air bubbles, lots of movement and random flow thru out the tank )
-Upgraded Return Pump: Sicce 1.0
-Heater: 75w Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo Thermal
-Stand: Ikea Kallax with 2 door upgrades

-Optional: Hydor Koralia Nano ( 240 gph ) power head if I find the RFG is not producing enough flow by itself.

Tank is cycling with 10 lbs of Marco rock ( a mix of shelf and small base rock ) and 10 lbs of Hawaiian Black substrate. In media basket One, I have a package of MarinePure Bio Media Gems for additional Bio Media. Salt mix is Red Sea Coral Pro. Its what I use in my wife's 50 gallon and the LPS in that tank are doing great.

Once Cycled and fully up and running I plan on running.
Chamber One: Filter Floss, Chemipure Blue, Bio Media ( Gems )
Chamber Two: Refugium ( using JBJ Nano Glo LED as light ), Filter Floss
Chamber Three: Return Pump, Heater, ATO

I have not picked out livestock yet, thinking Tailspot Blenny and Fire Shrimp. Maybe a pair of clowns.

PS - Yes Chamber 3 is low, I ran out of salt mix making the water for the tank. Stole some water from my wife's 50 gallon, but new mix is already in the mail.

NotSet_Base.jpg
Set_Base.jpg
Long.jpg
Short.jpg

OP
OP
Swordsman82

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Tank has been cycled and added my first corals and fish to the tank.

Corals:
JF John Deere Leptastrea
Teal Frogspawn

Fish:
Tailspot Blenny

Fish is doing good, still getting used to the new tank but is slowly exploring and eating regularly. Dipped both corals in Medicoral Pro and Frag Recover before putting them in the tank. The Leptastrea is opening up regularly and looks good.

The Frogspawn on the other hand came with an issue. After getting it in my tank I noticed some white fuzz growing around the rim. The stores Euphyllia tank I got it out of had crazy high flow for the Torch corals, so you can't see much of the Frogspawn and Hammers they have.

Did a little looking up on here, and it seems it a possible fungus / bacterial infection that regular dips don't treat well. Saw a few people had minor success with H2O2, so I used a Q-Tip and applied it to the trouble areas. Frogspawn was only moderately upset and has recovered for the that nicely. I am continuing to keep a close eye on the situation. Frogspawn other than that is nice and open and gently flowing in the low flow.

Upgrades:
I added additional lighting to the tank. The stock light is more than enough for the corals I am looking to keep. Added a 12" strip of Actinic Blues for Lumi Lite for viewing night time viewing and to less white overpowering during daytime viewing. I simply glued it to the top of the lid. It fit perfectly and I haven't seen any issues with it yet.

Issues:
Currently seeing and say thru cycling my VRG is periodically spitting out bubbles. I do not know where they are coming from. I have checked all the connection and pumps. Everything is submerged properly. I am guessing that the media towers are building up air pockets so how and they are being released all at once, which is why it is coming out periodically instead of steady stream. Hasn't effected anything yet, but I will continue to look for the issue and find a solution. Any help / ideas would get great.

Image from iOS.jpg
Image from iOS (1).jpg
Image from iOS (2).jpg
Image from iOS (3).jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the other tank is successful i would add some bio media or live rock from that tank directly to the new one just to help establish a mature bacterial population faster if you havent. I like the addition of the new light as well

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the bubbles i would prob add more water to the tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%

Back