LPS trouble

Varible

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thank you all for the help so far in this journey. I have been reading posts here for the last couple weeks looking for answers and haven't seen anything that looks like my issue yet, so here goes.

I have had my tank up for a year, everything is stable water chemistry wise (parameters to follow), fish are fat and happy and the majority of my corals are doing well and growing. I am having trouble with only a few corals. I have lost a bubble coral and one head of a torch an other head looks like its going now. I am also having trouble with my GSP (supposed to be impossible) dying. The odd thing is most of my other corals are thriving. I hope someone here has some ideas of what i can do. I also sent out an ICP test this week, results not back yet.

Modified triton method. Parameters:
Salt 35.8
PH 8.2 (8.0-8.2)
ALK 8.21
CAL 420
MG 1411
Nitrate 21.6 (working on reducing this)
Phosphate .03

In the close up of the torches you can see the one head that died and the one thats dying. rest of photos are for general tank condition .

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 3.16.10 PM.png IMG_5123.jpeg IMG_5125.jpeg IMG_5126.jpeg IMG_5127.jpeg IMG_5128.jpeg IMG_5129.jpeg

Wannabereefvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thank you all for the help so far in this journey. I have been reading posts here for the last couple weeks looking for answers and haven't seen anything that looks like my issue yet, so here goes.

I have had my tank up for a year, everything is stable water chemistry wise (parameters to follow), fish are fat and happy and the majority of my corals are doing well and growing. I am having trouble with only a few corals. I have lost a bubble coral and one head of a torch an other head looks like its going now. I am also having trouble with my GSP (supposed to be impossible) dying. The odd thing is most of my other corals are thriving. I hope someone here has some ideas of what i can do. I also sent out an ICP test this week, results not back yet.

Modified triton method. Parameters:
Salt 35.8
PH 8.2 (8.0-8.2)
ALK 8.21
CAL 420
MG 1411
Nitrate 21.6 (working on reducing this)
Phosphate .03

In the close up of the torches you can see the one head that died and the one thats dying. rest of photos are for general tank condition .

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 3.16.10 PM.png IMG_5123.jpeg IMG_5125.jpeg IMG_5126.jpeg IMG_5127.jpeg IMG_5128.jpeg IMG_5129.jpeg
Try dosing Red Sea Coral Nutrition AB+ and if you’re not running carbon I would start running a carbon reactor. I don’t like shocking systems with a lot of carbon, so I would fill the reactor at half the anticipated final capacity, run it a couple weeks, replace it and increase the amount.

Dosing Red Sea Coral Nutrition AB+ Has done wonders for my lps. It helps all corals, but I notice it the most with my LPS

The tank looks great, but by just looking at the mix of corals you have, I think they might just be out competing eachother for trace elements/micronutrients and there could be some coral warfare going on that tests won’t pickup.

OP
OP
Varible

Varible

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think they have insufficient nutrients thats what the AB+ will provide ?

Wannabereefvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think they have insufficient nutrients thats what the AB+ will provide ?
There’s no way to know exactly, but that’s the strategy. Increase available nutrients while running carbon to remove potential contaminants or toxins from the water that could be affecting them.

The ideas to make them healthier, and relieve any potential stress at the same time.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had GSP close up for days for no reason. Over a couple weeks after fragging.
It's colors look normal so it may be fine.
The torches though;
What do you have for flow and where is it placed? Your pics show them being blown hard.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other thought was could the torches be fighting? I had to move my HG.. was smacking the purple torch I had nearby. I would see long tentacles stuck to the other torch tentacles.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had GSP close up for days for no reason. Over a couple weeks after fragging.
It's colors look normal so it may be fine.
The torches though;
What do you have for flow and where is it placed? Your pics show them being blown hard.
Agreed. Also judging from the pictures, they look like they are mostly receiving flow from one direction. You want to see their tentacles bounce.

OP
OP
Varible

Varible

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. I feed them last night with AB+ mixed with some phyto. Should i try feeding them something more substantial(mysis, pellets, brine shrimp etc)?

I have added a bag of carbon as suggested.

I have two gyres one on each end, opposing each other. they are on 15min cycle from 10-40%. so the torches get blown back and forth. though more in one direction than the other due to rock placement. Should i change the flow pattern?

Wannabereefvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. I feed them last night with AB+ mixed with some phyto. Should i try feeding them something more substantial(mysis, pellets, brine shrimp etc)?

I have added a bag of carbon as suggested.

I have two gyres one on each end, opposing each other. they are on 15min cycle from 10-40%. so the torches get blown back and forth. though more in one direction than the other due to rock placement. Should i change the flow pattern?
I wouldn’t change flow right now. I think improving nutrition and cleaning the water is the way to go. You don’t want to make environmental changes necessarily, because that can cause stress

Let us know how it goes!!

OP
OP
Varible

Varible

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my own info, how quickly should i see improvement if this is working?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my own info, how quickly should i see improvement if this is working?
Have you tried target feeding them some pellets or mysis?
If the increase/target feeding is helping you should see a halt in tissue loss within a few days to a week. It will take on the order of months to see significant improvement but if you can stabilize them and stop the decline then the rest will follow.

OP
OP
Varible

Varible

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two photos of the corals in question , its hard to say but i think they are looking a bit better with the regular feeding. I have 2 ATI Hybrid fixtures with 2 blue+ and 2 true Actinics and 4 Kessil A360X's

Attachments

• 63961555791__818538F4-C78E-428B-8D76-EF83E9F5B1D3.jpeg
    63961555791__818538F4-C78E-428B-8D76-EF83E9F5B1D3.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5141.jpeg
    IMG_5141.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5142.jpeg
    IMG_5142.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 21

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back