Lubricating or Replacing Pump Bearings

CoryZipperle

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2022
Messages
53
Reaction score
21
Location
Topeka
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bearings on this pump are super tight, impeller doesn't want to spin. This is a 6-month-old pump. Has anyone ever tried lubricating these bearings? If so, what did you use? Do you have a great source for spare parts?

Note: I'm aware that I only have one bearing installed in this picture. :)

2023-09-23_10-25-02.png
 
The bearings on this pump are super tight, impeller doesn't want to spin. This is a 6-month-old pump. Has anyone ever tried lubricating these bearings? If so, what did you use? Do you have a great source for spare parts?

Note: I'm aware that I only have one bearing installed in this picture. :)

2023-09-23_10-25-02.png
I would order the part from the company. Most companies have spare parts on their websites. You could also see if the pump is still covered by warranty.
 
For the longest time, I was using Current USA eFlux pumps. But they never lasted more than a year before seizing up.

After research and recommendations, I found a reef safe lubricant that I applied. It worked... for about 2 days and then seized again.

The piece you are calling a bearing is actually a sleeve whose purpose is to keep the impeller from wobbling as it turns on its axis. It is not a bearing.

The eFlux pumps used the same design. And it was to this sleeve that I applied lubricant.

Power heads that use stainless steel bearings would last a lifetime.
 
Thank you, all, for the input. I did reach out to the manufacturer. They have an online ticketing system, hopefully, they're responsive! This pump was purchased less than a year ago, I think we'll have a warranty claim on this one.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new