Lubricating or Replacing Pump Bearings

CoryZipperle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bearings on this pump are super tight, impeller doesn't want to spin. This is a 6-month-old pump. Has anyone ever tried lubricating these bearings? If so, what did you use? Do you have a great source for spare parts?

Note: I'm aware that I only have one bearing installed in this picture. :)

2023-09-23_10-25-02.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bearings on this pump are super tight, impeller doesn't want to spin. This is a 6-month-old pump. Has anyone ever tried lubricating these bearings? If so, what did you use? Do you have a great source for spare parts?

Note: I'm aware that I only have one bearing installed in this picture. :)

2023-09-23_10-25-02.png
I would order the part from the company. Most companies have spare parts on their websites. You could also see if the pump is still covered by warranty.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the longest time, I was using Current USA eFlux pumps. But they never lasted more than a year before seizing up.

After research and recommendations, I found a reef safe lubricant that I applied. It worked... for about 2 days and then seized again.

The piece you are calling a bearing is actually a sleeve whose purpose is to keep the impeller from wobbling as it turns on its axis. It is not a bearing.

The eFlux pumps used the same design. And it was to this sleeve that I applied lubricant.

Power heads that use stainless steel bearings would last a lifetime.

OP
OP
CoryZipperle

CoryZipperle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, all, for the input. I did reach out to the manufacturer. They have an online ticketing system, hopefully, they're responsive! This pump was purchased less than a year ago, I think we'll have a warranty claim on this one.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back