Lucie's 60 gallons seahorse tank

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been set in may 2017.
I didn t documented very well the changes. I just realized i didn t even take pictures of it when it was at his prettiest...

This is a second hand 60g
-External HOB overflow with a ridiculous wet/dry modified sump that hold about 3 gallons.
-Return pump is a small compact eheim pump of about 550 gph
-Circulation pumps are cheap Aqueon, protected for the seahorses tails as they should, using garlic netting. They are 900 and 700 gph.
-There is also a HOB aquaclear 70 filter, mostly for surface agitation and eventually chemical filtration or polishing.
-Skimmer is a Tunze 9410 with a power converter, as i brought back 2 from my previous life in France.
-Lightning is done with 2 fixtures, one is a 4 X 24w ATI bulbs (Coral+, Purple+, actinic and blue+), the other one is 7000K leds for initially freshwater aquascaping tank
-Sump have some marinepure balls, some sintered glass (Eheim and Sera), Seachem matrix and various ceramic rings
-Sand is very fine, which is a pure mistake, especially regarding flow

This picture is when i set it up in may 2017
It's particulary ugly, i think we all agree. Seahorses need hitching posts and with the limited budget i have, plastic plants and synthetic decors were the best option at the moment
I didn t even though that one day, i would have these fake stuff in a tank, having done freshwater so many years and having a disgusting feeling about them

fts.jpg

This picture is from august 2008
You can see that the ugly plastic plants and corals have been remplaced by less ugly urethane corals.
Fact is seahorses don t like the touch of hard resin items or plastic plants but they love urethane, as it s soft and more confortable because the section diameter is larger.
Sorry for the weird collage, i couldn t find a FTS picture so i made one from a video

fts 3.jpg

Picture from april 2019
Yeaaah more fake corals! It s just so convenient... I little bleach bath every few months and they are clean like new.
The Caulerpa mexicana have take over the tank. Some red macros appeared on the left after the previous ones died. The GSP is spreading, Botryocladia start to develop nicely, The red gracilaria can t compete the caulerpa for light, same as the orange sponge. They are lacking light, despite weekly (or ven more) trimming.
I can t keep a proper CUC because 2 of my seahorses eat hermit crabs, one eat snails (or at least kill the bigger one)
fts2.jpg

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few various tank shot

This pretty girl have been added 3 weeks ago. She started eating mysis
DSC06736.JPG

DSC04270.JPG

Jetlag (yellow) trying his best to impress Marmite. "Look babe how my pouch is biiig"

DSC03940.JPG

I v never been able to find a name for this girl. She is my favorite female and the smartest of my seahorses

DSC03738.JPG

Secret (left) and Jetlag

12.jpg

Edeilweiss hanging in the GSP. Might be tickeling!

DSC09952.JPG

Still Edeilweiss

... and that's all for today

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Halymenia floridana is going out of control. It will soon detach and drift
I v made the usual weekly/bi-weekly trimming and made some minor changes

DSC06883.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I m moving next week, so i will re-do entirely this tank. It s gonna be a pain to move all the tanks, i will do it in 3 parts during next week. Tomorrow i will go to the new house to start making RODI and will come the day after for mixing. Then i will move some tanks, take a break, and this 60g will be the last to move.
I finally will be able to install the sump i made nearly a year ago for that tank. The only way to install it is to remove the tank from his wood stand.

I was away 2 weeks for vacations, came back last friday and i saw the Halymenia floridana grew quite well (on last picture it s folded so you don t see how huge it is now). i did waterchanges/cleaning/trimming/filtration changes on all tanks these past 3 days

I was surprised to see how the seahorses reacted immediatly to me when i went to the tank. They sure didn t act like this with the seahorse-sitter. I m pretty sure they recognized me!
halymenia.jpg

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank and horses! I wish you luck on your move, hopefully everything will go smoothly for you and your seahorse friends!

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did move june 11th
I kept about 30% of the water in buckets, moved livestock and rocks in buckets with water, moved the tank with the sand inside with rooted macro and a few water (enough to be a pain to move, especially walking in the sand with the tank and climbing a few steps)
I changed sump for a DIY 20 gallons one (Fiji cube kit). The only way to install this sump was to remove the tank from stand, i was waiting this since a long time!

As i need to move AGAIN soon, i didn t put the rockscape, just stacked pretty much randomly
DSC07172.JPG

I v added a Icecap Gyre 3K, in alternate mode, ramping 0-40 and 0-10 on a 6 seconds interval. Tricky to find a good setting, as i have a very fine sand.
Sadly, i had a male that gave birth to his first brood sooner than expected and all fry ended up in circulation pumps, overflow foam...
DSC07103.JPG

I added a new gorgonian (Muricea laxa?) which came with a (cool) hitchiker, a juvenile basket starfish (Astrophyton muricatum). I target feed it every evening with zooplankton, enriched bbs and other coral foods.
DSC07124.JPG

Since 2 weeks the Halymenia went crazy. I guess it absorbed a spike in nitratesJust before moving i removed half of it and gave it to a seahorse friend.
DSC07352.JPG

Botryocladia is doing well, it grows in different places in the tank. Mother macro died, so these all came from spores.
I
DSC07246.JPG

DSC07222.JPG

DSC07244.JPG

This little girl need a boyfriend
DSC07295.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught it too late, all died either crushed in pumps of overflow foam

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the aquascaping - I'm inspired and can't wait to start mine tomorrow! You started out with the same attitude as me: "fake is bad" but I see you gradually added plastic and other non-living things and they look great! I'm off to buy some on line. Thanks for the inspiration!
Sue

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved that tank again exactly 1 week ago.
I will do an update soon.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back