Lucie's seahorses

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture should help you, they are erectus too.
1.jpg

About feeding with a net, once he/she will figure out the food is inside, you won t have any problem.
It s even fun to have them do some gym chasing the net around before feeding
DSC07248.JPG
This picture should help you, they are erectus too.
1.jpg

About feeding with a net, once he/she will figure out the food is inside, you won t have any problem.
It s even fun to have them do some gym chasing the net around before feeding
DSC07248.JPG
Hi been trying to find another seahorse and I found one but they called it a tiger seahorse and it’s only 3 inches. . I am assuming it’s a dwarf? My seahorse is about 5 inches. Would it be ok to put them together ? They have both male and female. Sorry still need to create a thread and post some pics. Any suggestions? Thanks again. Tom

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi been trying to find another seahorse and I found one but they called it a tiger seahorse and it’s only 3 inches. . I am assuming it’s a dwarf? My seahorse is about 5 inches. Would it be ok to put them together ? They have both male and female. Sorry still need to create a thread and post some pics. Any suggestions? Thanks again. Tom
Tiger tails are Hippocampus comes. You have seen young ones, just the size when they start to be sold.
Dwarfs seahorses are Hippocampus zosterae
You already have an Hippocampus erectus, who are the most hardy to keep. I will stick one this specie

Don t mix them with erectus, they are from differents waters and carry different pathogens.
The only ones you can mix together are reidi and erectus. They live together in the wild, and even hybridize naturally sometimes.
About not mixing seahorses species, It s a little bit like when Spanish explorers first came in south america. They nuked local populations with flu, because the local's immune system wasn t able to handle it at all.
Seahorse are very sensitive to bacterial infections, mixing tiger tails and lined (=erectus) is really playing with fire, especially if you are new to seahorses.

Also, you should better buy directly from a breeder, you will have healthier specimens that have never been in contact of bad pathogens or parasites at the lfs and never suffered a wrong care (lack of proper nutrition, unsuitable tank mates...)
Seahorses ship very well, i recommand you Seahorse source (florida) and Alyssa seahorse savvy (Maryland)

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sorry for the delayed response. I will stick to just the Reidi and erectus. Appreciate it. I will look into those breeders. Thanks

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ lovely why the 3 month 3 QT?
man every time I see SH tanks I want to set one up. been thinking about it for years now. but the "boss" says only 2 tanks in the house. one big and one small. for some silly reason she not in to aquariums as I am ...lol

love the yellow! hope she stays nice and bright for you.

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ lovely why the 3 month 3 QT?
man every time I see SH tanks I want to set one up. been thinking about it for years now. but the "boss" says only 2 tanks in the house. one big and one small. for some silly reason she not in to aquariums as I am ...lol

love the yellow! hope she stays nice and bright for you.
I get the new female from a friend and i didn t wanted to risk introducing a pathogen, hence the 3 months QT with a complete deworming course.
Jetlag (the yellow) is keeping his yellow color since october 2017 so i don t think he will change now.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back