Some goodies at the MACNA seahorse and pipefish meeting 1 week ago

DSC07696.JPG

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Started my seahorse adventure!!! He/she (dont know) is doing ok. Have him in a well established tank with fuge and tons of pods. But just concerned about getting him enough food!! I have a large turkey baster that i try to target feed with but it doesnt stay by him long enough for him to get it. I see him trying to hunt around but they are very slow. I started out with live brine, vitamin enriched frozen brine and mysis. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking maybe a smaller turkey baster but then my hand might frek him out!! Thanks in advance. Tom

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pods are indeed ones that attract the seahorse as food, it may not have an interest at the moment for non live food.
However, a seahorse will very quickly decimate any large population of pods that it may be interested in consuming. Most pods are too small to be of any interest OR value to a standard sized seahorse and when the source of ones that it DOES eat is consumed then it will probably start to feed on the mysis.
What size setup are you using? Temperature? Tankmates? Skimmer? Sump? Corals?
As seahorses are a communal type fish, on their own they won't be at their best

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi it’s a 50 gallon tank. It’s actually a 210 but I divided it up. It has a wet dry and Refugium on it. Temp is between 73-74, salinity is 1025. Only other occupant is blue mandarin. I am looking for more but there is none available right now. Only flow is from return of filter. Thanks

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Started my seahorse adventure!!! He/she (dont know) is doing ok. Have him in a well established tank with fuge and tons of pods. But just concerned about getting him enough food!! I have a large turkey baster that i try to target feed with but it doesnt stay by him long enough for him to get it. I see him trying to hunt around but they are very slow. I started out with live brine, vitamin enriched frozen brine and mysis. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking maybe a smaller turkey baster but then my hand might frek him out!! Thanks in advance. Tom
You can shut off all water movement just for feeding. You can also use a feeding dish. The amount of food depend mostly of the size of the seahorse. What specie? what size? a video will be helpfull.
you better start a thread, so you can have more answers. I personally use a fish net for feeding. The food stay inside, i can see who is eating what amount and there is no uneaten food broadcasted in the tank. Try to cut the brine, as their nutritional profile is not great for the needs of seahorses

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can shut off all water movement just for feeding. You can also use a feeding dish. The amount of food depend mostly of the size of the seahorse. What specie? what size? a video will be helpfull.
you better start a thread, so you can have more answers. I personally use a fish net for feeding. The food stay inside, i can see who is eating what amount and there is no uneaten food broadcasted in the tank. Try to cut the brine, as their nutritional profile is not great for the needs of seahorses
Hi Lucie, its a Hippocamus erectus about 4 1/2 inches. I will try your suggestions. Nets dont bother them? I am searching for another one for him because i know they do better in groups. How can you tell sex? They are very cool!! I have and kept different species of Octopus, fish,rays and sharks but never Seahorses so i am a newbie. Thanks for your help. Tom

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lucie, its a Hippocamus erectus about 4 1/2 inches. I will try your suggestions. Nets dont bother them? I am searching for another one for him because i know they do better in groups. How can you tell sex? They are very cool!! I have and kept different species of Octopus, fish,rays and sharks but never Seahorses so i am a newbie. Thanks for your help. Tom
This picture should help you, they are erectus too.
1.jpg

About feeding with a net, once he/she will figure out the food is inside, you won t have any problem.
It s even fun to have them do some gym chasing the net around before feeding
DSC07248.JPG

Last edited:

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it s meeee!
You are the best UPS guy ever! You gave me corals after Irma nuked my reef! I still have all of them, some in my reef and some in my seahorse tank!
Your seahorses are beautiful you really know what you're doing I missed your move cuz I was out on some minor surgery for 6 weeks moving those tanks must have been hard glad to see all your horses made it

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC07798.JPG

This little female enjoy mysis 4 times a day. She had no difficulty to start learning eating frozen. She still have plenty of copepods to snack on, all day long.

DSC07515.JPG

Guys trying to impress each others

batfry.JPG

Fry. I had some fry that were given to me from parents born at home. Funny, quite a lot like to hitch upside down like their grand mother do (she always sleep upside down for the night)

alyssa jetlag.JPG

10 shades of Jetlag.
He is my first seahorse and he is the most active of all. He is a jerk, by far the least popular male. He is the boss but females don t like him because of his rude manners. He is now 3 years old and i hope i will be able to keep him happy and healthy for many years

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your seahorses are beautiful you really know what you're doing I missed your move cuz I was out on some minor surgery for 6 weeks moving those tanks must have been hard glad to see all your horses made it
Thanks
I hope you are doing ok with the surgery!
Yes moving tanks wasn t the best part i have to admit...especially the part when i had to move prepared saltwater from Fort Pierce to my new place, as i did a 95% waterchange in all tanks. The reef was by far the most easy to move (22g long).
I still have to move again, as my house is nearly finished (nearly since last november...). I can t wait to move everything in my new fish room (which was initially the master bedroom, biggest room in the house)
At least you don t have to deliver 200g salt boxes at my house anymore. XD
I have an empty 150g, still have to choose what to do with it... Seahorse, reef or freshwater... And an empty 75 too...
When are you starting your 150G?

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I hope you are doing ok with the surgery!
Yes moving tanks wasn t the best part i have to admit...especially the part when i had to move prepared saltwater from Fort Pierce to my new place, as i did a 95% waterchange in all tanks. The reef was by far the most easy to move (22g long).
I still have to move again, as my house is nearly finished (nearly since last november...). I can t wait to move everything in my new fish room (which was initially the master bedroom, biggest room in the house)
At least you don t have to deliver 200g salt boxes at my house anymore. XD
I have an empty 150g, still have to choose what to do with it... Seahorse, reef or freshwater... And an empty 75 too...
When are you starting your 150G?
Yeah that's what my wife wants to know I'm obviously stalling got most of the plumbing done going to try to put some water in it in the garage make sure I got no leaks
Let me know if you ever get into SPS or need any more LPS I love giving stuff away when I know it's going to go to a good home good luck

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m soon adding a sump on the reef. A bigger one than the tank.
I will wait a little bit for SPS, despite it beeing more than 2 years old, it s not stable enough for most sps, hoping the sump will help it stabilize. LPS are doing good despite i started to have some cyano since 2 weeks ago.
I gave plenty of your GSP away, as well as macro algaes.
Thanks for the offer, if you need gorgs or macro, let me know. I have a nicefrag of Captain America palythoas i can give you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back