View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25.jpg
28.JPG
29.JPG
DSC04174.JPG

And my latest addition to the herd! Coolest birthday present ever!
DSC04993.JPG

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was 2 years old since i had my first seahorse ever.
Jetlag was the first, and he is still gorgeous.

JETLAG.JPG

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile my juveniles will be 6 months old tomorrow.
Here is a video of them about one month ago

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night time in the juvenile tank
DSC06636.JPG

Finally my 2 piebald just bonded
DSC06687.JPG

And my new female mandarin deceided to try frozen mysis
DSC06736.JPG

A cirrious juvenile female
DSC06712.JPG

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had my ponies fight! Most of my seahorse keeping has been in trios however, 1 male with 2 females.

1 of my females is one of my original seahorses and she has to be over 5 years old. Although she is quite active I don't think she is producing eggs anymore.

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had my ponies fight! Most of my seahorse keeping has been in trios however, 1 male with 2 females.

1 of my females is one of my original seahorses and she has to be over 5 years old. Although she is quite active I don't think she is producing eggs anymore.
I always had 2 males since the beginning, now i have 3 since last november.
It might be about the number or females available...
Jetlag was competing with Voodoo for the same female (Marmite).
Later on, i lost Voodoo (so far the only seahorse i v lost) to bubble gaz deasease (bubbles under the skin in the pouch, so it was not obvious). He always had prolapsus problems also. 8 days of Diamox didn t saved him.
Then i added a piebald female, another female, then another male (these 2 paired almost immediatly)
For my last birthday i had another piebald male.
So right now i have 3 males and 3 females but one of the females (the last that came in), bought in avril 2018, never grew. She is smaller than my 6 months old offpring. The other female i added a few weeks after her was smaller and now she is maximum adult size, while the small female piebald still stay small...
She eats fine, have eggs, behave normally... She just don t grow. Could be linked to some genes of piebald...

On this picture you can see the "dwarf" piebald female (i m holding her) compared to 5 1/2 months old juveniles.
You can also see the female that i added after her and which was smaller than her (pale grey)

DSC06622.JPG

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhmm, some seahorses just don't seem to grow like others.

When I raised my brood of fry I had one that was much much smaller than the others. I actually catered to it to make sure that it was getting enough to eat but it still did not grow like its siblings. When I sold them at 5 months old I thought they might not want the little runt but they did not care and took it even though it was half the size of all the others.

My younger female, Delilah is a lot smaller than the male, Samson that I got with her. Perhaps he grew quick so that he could mate with my matriarch Eve, who is the old seahorse. Delilah has cirri and has never lost it. Even though she is over 2 years old she acts more like a juvenile. Samson prefers her over Eve but she is never interested in mating. I have wondered if she is just a late bloomer. Eve is a grand old gal but she is still willing to court and she is a big seahorse. Its puzzling but they seem happy and I do not want fry anyway, so its all good.

I hope your little female is just a runt and that there is no other reason for her stunted growth other than she is just little.
Also I am sorry to hear of your loss of Voodoo. I know its really tough losing any fish but seahorses are the worst. I also lost a male to gas bubble disease before I got diamox. Now I have some in my medical kit and have never needed it.

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst is hat i had Diamox and the whole medecine panel, and i did absolutely everything i could. Antibiotics with 50% waterchange daily, live enriched shrimps and mysis (i was spending one hour everyday colletcting them for him and the others), taking extra time to choose his favorites shrimp species (yes they all have their favorites!), Diamox, extra siphoning...
But i wasn t able to get him back. Maybe something to see with his frequent prolapsus (it never avoided him to breed, give birth and didn t seems to bother him at all), i don t know.
Fact is i failed on him.
My seahorses breed on a regular basis, even during winter time. This year they only took a 3 weeks pause, but the winter was pretty warm. They are all less than 3 years, the older been Jetlag (the yellow one on my picture profile), who is around 2 years and 8 months.
This guy herited Voodoo's female. So far this same female (Marmite) bred with 3 different males and she is not strongly bonded with Jetlag. Seems she just need a pouch to release her eggs to avoid egg bonding. The other males are Secret, who is bonded with the girl with no name, and Rodeo, who is a naughty teenager, too small and not behavied. Anyway, Rodeo seems to have bonded with the small female piebald...
Jetlag always try to interfere in egg transfer. Now Rodeo is trying too.
It have always be a TV serie drama between all my seahorses...

Mudder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful seahorses..

Sorry for your loss of Voodoo..though:(

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally i deceided to make a tank tread but it seems nobody have any interest on it, so i will stay in the seahorses and pipefishs section.

Iv made minor changes in the 60g. The halymenia is starting to go mad.
DSC06883.JPG

I have some pest red dictiyota starting to be a problem in the tank
The Botryocladia and Halymenia came from nowhere. Well... No, they appeared weeks after the initial ones died and decayed in the tank.
DSC06888.JPG

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back