DSC06354.JPG
DSC06401.JPG

DSC06846.JPG

This picture was taken yesterday...

And then, today...
DSC06930.JPG

DSC06940.JPG
DSC06960.JPG
O my, I never get over enjoying how cute seahorse fry are. I can see that some of them are eating quite well with their little orange tummies!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fat, happy, breeding horses... I _know_ how challenging seahorses can be.

Once upon a time, I made a pretty serious attempt with seahorses. After several rounds of hydroids and GBD, loosing horses far to frequently, I decided not to attempt it any longer. All I have left is memories... and a few photos :) Magnificent creatures.

Seahorse.jpg

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Once upon a time, I made a pretty serious attempt with seahorses. After several rounds of hydroids and GBD, loosing horses far to frequently, I decided not to attempt it any longer. All I have left is memories... and a few photos :) Magnificent creatures.

Seahorse.jpg
Thanks Greybeard
I use live food mostly, they are always present in tanks, as I live very close to the sea...
they can eat whenever they want or need. I can even go away for an entire day.
I go almost daily catching shrimps, amphipods and mysis for them, but give also frozen hikari mysis everyday.
I also freeze live food sometimes.
I m pretty sure a various natural diet like I give them is the best (excepting for possible parasite issues) for their health. Funny thing is they have all different favorite species for eating.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the downsides of living in rural Missouri. Live marine foods would be rather challenging to collect myself, and very expensive to have delivered regularly.

I had Ocean Rider horses, Erectus, Redii and Ingens. They were eating PE mysis, and occasionally a few live gammarus shrimp I collected from my reef, but I'm fairly certain there was something missing from their diets. Broke my heart when I'd loose one, and I just decided it wasn't meant to be.

I had a 24" x 24" x 10" tank, primarily a clam display, with a half dozen banded pipefish and a handful of strawberry crabs. Made for a neat display. Sold that tank off decades ago, and still think it was one of the more attractive displays I've ever done.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seahorse.jpg
Keeping seahorses is work and raising them is a whole other level. I raised 15 out of 22 my first batch but it was so labor intensive for 4 months that I give away all the fry I have now. I do not live near the ocean either so hatching, enriching and cleaning the artemia was exhausting. Still it was an enriching experience so I am glad I did it once.

I love my ponies but when my current herd have lived out their natural lives I don't think that I will get more (of course I say that now) because they tie me down a lot. They certainly are enchanting though.

OP
OP
Lucie

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collect them with a pool net, wading, or by shaking out of the water some underwater structures (shrimp structures on purpose). I choose what i want to catch depending of what i need for the seahorses.
These days i especially need very small shrimps to feed juveniles. Pictured is 1 of 6 meals per day for 3 juveniles (1.2 to 2") + frozen commercial mysis
Mysis are harder to reach when temperature increase in summer. I catch mainly mysis in winter, when they come in very shallow area.

DSC00654.JPG

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collect them with a pool net, wading, or by shaking out of the water some underwater structures (shrimp structures on purpose). I choose what i want to catch depending of what i need for the seahorses.
These days i especially need very small shrimps to feed juveniles. Pictured is 1 of 6 meals per day for 3 juveniles (1.2 to 2") + frozen commercial mysis
Mysis are harder to reach when temperature increase in summer. I catch mainly mysis in winter, when they come in very shallow area.

DSC00654.JPG
Thanks, I collect live food also and I am always looking for tips and tricks. What do you mean shrimp structures? Did you set something up in your collecting area? What do you look for when collecting food?

Back