Lugol's coral dip question

Carla2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wall hammer coral hasn't been doing well for a couple of months. I recently found that it seemed to perk up when I used carbon (I do have hitchhiker toadstools in my tank, so their toxin might be the culprit). This time only half of the hammer coral recovered even after carbon. The lower half is retracted.
I'm thinking of trying Lugol's as an iodine dip. The instruction says 40 drops per gallon for coral dip. Is this correct? I saw them dip corals at a much lower concentration at a store ... not 4 drops, but 40 drops, right?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped a torch with brown jelly disease and a hammer that just randomly lost a head using the 40 drops/gallon instructions (roughly, I eyeballed the amount of water LOL). I fragged the diseased heads off each prior to dipping. Both thrived.

OP
OP
C

Carla2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear your Euphies survived. That gives me some hope too ... mine is a wall hammer so it's much harder to frag :(
I will dip according to the instruction (40 drops per gallon). Thanks!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear your Euphies survived. That gives me some hope too ... mine is a wall hammer so it's much harder to frag :(
I will dip according to the instruction (40 drops per gallon). Thanks!

Good luck! I've never tried a wall hammer, I hear they are more difficult. But the one with BJD was an orange torch, also finicky and it did great for 6 months or so...then my cuke crawled into my overflow and died, and bye bye torch (and a few other corals) :(

OP
OP
C

Carla2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I've never tried a wall hammer, I hear they are more difficult. But the one with BJD was an orange torch, also finicky and it did great for 6 months or so...then my cuke crawled into my overflow and died, and bye bye torch (and a few other corals) :(

Cuke nuke ;Inpain I've always wanted a cucumber but for this I still haven't gotten one ... I think they are really cool though :( Sorry for your corals.

OP
OP
C

Carla2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks reefwiser! The video was helpful because after watching this I could be sure I wasn't using too much iodine. In fact my water didn't even turn the color of tea like this ... the dip water remained transparent and I couldn't see any color even though I used a white bowl. I did stick to the instruction (40 drops per gallon) though. I might have to use more next time.

OP
OP
C

Carla2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hammer coral retracted when I picked it up and released a little white slime during the dip. After three hours the retracted part still hasn't come out ... still waiting ;Watching

OP
OP
C

Carla2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! :) My hammer looks like 20% better and is coming out more, but part of it is still retracted. Maybe it was more than bacterial infection. Maybe the part (hopefully not the whole thing) was too far gone.

Now after a week of using carbon part of my molly's tail is sort of missing ... I read carbon could possibly cause HLLE, though it could just be a coincidence. Fighting one problem after another :confused:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back