Lump on peppermint shrimp???

TheDentist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas what this little bump is on my peppermint shrimp???

20171021_182231.jpg

20171021_182229.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that came in with that sort of bump on him one time, I thought it was just some sort of odd growth or a displaced internal organ or something. The next day the shrimp molted and the bump was gone, I really hope it wasn't a parasite :eek:

I'm pretty sure if it was, the fish ate it or it died, because it has been well over a year and I haven't seen anything resembling such again.

OP
OP
T

TheDentist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh great so maybe i shouldnt bother the little shrimp and let him be? Hopefully if this is some kind of parasite it doesnt go after fish...

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this a couple times before on shrimp. It’s a parasite and typically it comes off with the next molt. On occasion though it won’t come off and has required very delicate surgery. There is a video somewhere showing the surgery, I’ll see if I can find it. Although definitely wait for it to molt first.

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old, but has anyone seen any negative long term effects of this parasite?
I bought a cleaner shrimp yesterday who has something similar however it looks just like an empty bubble.
The shop I bought it from has already agreed to take it back but I'd rather see this guy pull through.
Video courtesy of my girlfriend before I noticed the lump.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back