Lump On Side Of Clownfish

alireneeh

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought this clownfish, I didn't notice this bump on it until I brought it home. I was concerned for a while, but never found any information on it.

I have had this clownfish for about two years now, and seems to be healthy, other than the lump on its side. It swims normally, eats normally, and the bump hasn't gotten any bigger or smaller in the time I have had it. The other clownfish I purchased with it has became the dominant one/female, I assume because it had its deformity.

I am just curious as to what it is and if I should be concerned/what I should do about it.
Thanks.

IMG_4745.JPG
 
That might possibly be an internal parasite of some sort, but I suspect it's much more likely to be a spinal deformity.

They're not uncommon in captive-bred fish, though in the wild, they'd be selected against. (Fish with them swim more slowly than the others - and are the first ones into predators' mouths.) The ultimate example would be things like fancy goldfish, balloon-belly mollies, and "parrot cichlids".

~Bruce
 
That might possibly be an internal parasite of some sort, but I suspect it's much more likely to be a spinal deformity.

They're not uncommon in captive-bred fish, though in the wild, they'd be selected against. (Fish with them swim more slowly than the others - and are the first ones into predators' mouths.) The ultimate example would be things like fancy goldfish, balloon-belly mollies, and "parrot cichlids".

~Bruce

I agree. A spinal deformity or even a growth on an internal organ. It may not be getting worse, and it may not affect him in the short term, but it may lead to a shorter life span for him. Since he has been this way for two years then there probably isn't much you would be able to do for him aside from providing the best quality food possible and adding vitamins to it, then keeping the water clean.
 
I agree. A spinal deformity or even a growth on an internal organ. It may not be getting worse, and it may not affect him in the short term, but it may lead to a shorter life span for him. Since he has been this way for two years then there probably isn't much you would be able to do for him aside from providing the best quality food possible and adding vitamins to it, then keeping the water clean.
Another agree, entirely.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new