Lympho assist from fire shrimp?

BifrostReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2020
Messages
68
Reaction score
66
Location
The Texas Border
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tang with lympho, I'm curious if there are any reef inhabitants that would help clean them off? Maybe cleaner wrasse or shrimp?
A few times today I have noticed my yellow tang approach my blood red fire shrimp and allow a quick cleaning. I'm wondering if it's just coincidence or if the shrimp is actually cleaning the lympho off? Anyone see anything like that before? I took a video of it and screen captured a few images of it, but I didn't have any filters ready, so it's pretty blue.

MOV_0447_000_000005.jpg MOV_0490_000_000019.jpg MOV_0490_000_000013.jpg MOV_0490_000_000020.jpg
 
I'm sure the Lymphocystis is irritating to the fish, so it is going to posture for the shrimp. The shrimp, seeing the spots, is going to be drawn to cleaning it. However, the Lymphocystis lesions are actually skin cells that have become giant sized due to the virus. Physical removal (called debulking) can spread more of the virus out into the water. Luckily, most long term captive fish are resistant to this. There is an old joke: Every cure works for Lymphocystis - given 6 to 10 weeks (grin).

Your YT has it in a classic place that stands almost a 100% chance of resolving on its own.....

Jay
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new