Lyretail anthias not eating

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdemoss01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Hawkfish has rapid breathing, he left cave and darted all around acting like he was gonna jump. He went back to the cave and now him and the anthias are on each other. WHAT IS GOING ON
1000004201.jpg
 

Best I could get of the breathing. Apologies for spamming the thread.


Sorry - I know getting good video of fish is tough, but I really can't see anything of note in this one.....
 
@Jay Hemdal any idea why my hawkfish is hiding with his mouth open?

Open mouth breathing can be a sign of the breathing rate being so rapid that the mouth doesn't have time to close between breaths - like a dog panting I guess is the best way to put it.....
 
@Jay Hemdal any idea why my hawkfish is hiding with his mouth open?

Open mouth breathing can be a sign of the breathing rate being so rapid that the mouth doesn't have time to close between breaths - like a dog panting I guess is the best way to put it.....
He recovered shortly after. I don't understand why they hid together.
 
Camden,

Im really sorry you're going through this. I know that it is tough. Potentially having sick fish is never fun - especially when you have no answers. I have absolutely zero qualifications in diagnosing fish diseases. However, if getting a good quality video is tough, try to carefully examine the fishes. Do they have white bumps? Sometimes these white bumps that come with things like velvet can be hard to see, especially on colorful fish like Anthias. Do they swim in front of power heads? Are they "itching"?

Sounds like they may be doing better now as of your most recent post. However, still carefully observe them to make sure that there are no signs of disease starting.

The heavy breathing could have been from the sporadic darting around and not necessarily a sign of disease.

Good luck!
 
Camden,

Im really sorry you're going through this. I know that it is tough. Potentially having sick fish is never fun - especially when you have no answers. I have absolutely zero qualifications in diagnosing fish diseases. However, if getting a good quality video is tough, try to carefully examine the fishes. Do they have white bumps? Sometimes these white bumps that come with things like velvet can be hard to see, especially on colorful fish like Anthias. Do they swim in front of power heads? Are they "itching"?

Sounds like they may be doing better now as of your most recent post. However, still carefully observe them to make sure that there are no signs of disease starting.

The heavy breathing could have been from the sporadic darting around and not necessarily a sign of disease.

Good luck!
No signs of disease. The anthias isn't eating again
 
@Jay Hemdal what else should I try and do?

I went back and scanned this thread - the anthias started eating and then stopped again?

I think 3 people echoed my suggestion that you hatch out live baby brine shrimp.

What are your current water chemistry readings, including pH and ammonia?
 
I went back and scanned this thread - the anthias started eating and then stopped again?

I think 3 people echoed my suggestion that you hatch out live baby brine shrimp.

What are your current water chemistry readings, including pH and ammonia?
Yes it did start eating then stopped. I cannot hatch baby brine shrimp but I bought frozen mysis and it ate that.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new