Lyretail Anthias question

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I picked 3 lyretail anthias yesterday, and they are in QT currently with some copper power (1ppm currently). Yesterday after adding one of them, I noticed this small bruise like mark near the gill, and was thinking maybe it happened with the guy caught the fish in the net up against the aquarium and maybe that caused it.

He is swimming fine, but seems to be more in 1 spot unlike the other 2. Any thoughts?

20210107_104127.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rats, that could be Uronema. One key thing is when people say, “I think my fish got hit with a net”... but it turns out to be Uronema. New anthias, green chromis and yellow coris wrasse make up the majority of cases. It grows deep in the fish’s tissue and eventually erupts on the surface. People suggest a lot of treatments, but the only one I’ve had work is chloroquine, and that s no longer available. Let’s hope my diagnosis is incorrect. There is an article I wrote about this scourge in the article section here.
Jay

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rats, that could be Uronema. One key thing is when people say, “I think my fish got hit with a net”... but it turns out to be Uronema. New anthias, green chromis and yellow coris wrasse make up the majority of cases. It grows deep in the fish’s tissue and eventually erupts on the surface. People suggest a lot of treatments, but the only one I’ve had work is chloroquine, and that s no longer available. Let’s hope my diagnosis is incorrect. There is an article I wrote about this scourge in the article section here.
Jay
Thanks for that information. I ended up returning it to my LFS and swapped for another one. All 3 now seem to be healthy. Do you know how uronemia spreads or how it gets into the tank? Is my whole QT tank screwed now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that information. I ended up returning it to my LFS and swapped for another one. All 3 now seem to be healthy. Do you know how uronemia spreads or how it gets into the tank? Is my whole QT tank screwed now?
Uronema can be isolated from almost every aquarium. It normally feeds on bacteria, but attacks some fish species under certain conditions- nobody knows why. As long as the anthias don’t show active infections, you don’t need to treat for it specifically, but you DO need to quarantine/treat for ich and flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema can be isolated from almost every aquarium. It normally feeds on bacteria, but attacks some fish species under certain conditions- nobody knows why. As long as the anthias don’t show active infections, you don’t need to treat for it specifically, but you DO need to quarantine/treat for ich and flukes.
Jay
Cool, thanks for that information. So far everyone is looking good. Using copper power for 30 days, and will do 2 rounds of prazi pro.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back