Lyretail transition signs?

Primalphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to get a better idea on the signs a female is transitioning to male. I Started out with 2 medium sized females and got advice at my LFS that it might make sense to add a 3rd to help get one to transition. One of the 2 original has since gained much more size than the other original and its becoming more clear shes the boss. The 3rd I added was picked on a bit at first by the largest but has since been welcomed in while both smaller get kept in check by the 3rd. The big girl has started to show the big spike on its fine (not sure what this is called) a ton more and it seems to become more and more constant rather than just showing when shes being a bit aggressive or chasing others around. Does this mean shes changing or can it just mean she really like being mean all the time? Other than the big spike what else can I look for as far as early signs of it happening? The only other thing I seem to notice is that she seems to be on the lighter color side than the other 2 when my light is on full where the other 2 seem to still stay full bright orange. I wondered if these were signs but she's been like this for about a month now with no further changes happening.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a trio of lyretails many years ago (2006). IME the change happened pretty quickly....

November 14: Gold flank scales appearing.

November 12: More darkening

November 11: Slight darkening...

November 08: Can't even tell which one it is in this pic...I think it's the one in the middle though...

MaleLyretailchanging11-14-06colorfu.jpg MaleLyretailchanging11-12-06.jpg MaleLyretailchanging11-11-06.jpg Lyretailtrio.jpg

OP
OP
Primalphil

Primalphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I want this girl to start up already but I really am not quite sure if it's even happening to be honest. I'll take a photo of her later today when I get home from work to see if I'm missing something that you might notice

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back