Lysol Contamination Recovery - advice request

NewFishMom101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... this past Monday my sister & niece stopped by my work from home office (which is at my mother in laws) to see my new pistol shrimp/goby. Tuesday morning she informed me that my niece had Covid. So my MIL sprayed the whole room down with Lysol. She said she was careful not to spray above the tank but I think everything in the room got a thorough coating, I wasn't here when she sprayed but could smell it when I walked in the door. Everything seemed fine... but at lunch time, I changed out a filter pad that was sitting in a bin in the corner. Apparently (or at least this is what I think happened) it was covered with lysol... within an hour the fish started gasping and swimming crazy all around and at the top of the tank. I didn't realize what had happened until trying to figure it out later. So I frantically mixed up a couple gallons of water in a trash can and put the fish in. I lost the green chromis, but the two clownfish, YW goby and mandarin are recovering in the QT tank that I had to set up quickly (It was up previously but I had just taken it down about a week ago, ugh).
I don't know what to do to my tank to be able to return the fish. I'm running carbon and planning to do water change today. It's 36 gallon tank.
The fish ate this morning (frozen brine and can of cyclops with garlic), but I'm extremely worried about the mandarin (who only eats pods that I have observed). I had plenty of pods in the DT but this QT tank has nothing. I've got some pods growing in a 2 gallon tank, I put some in the QT yesterday but I don't know if I can sustain him for long. Wondering when the DT would be "safe" for them to return and how much water should I change out? All?
Sorry for the LONG message, but advise is appreciated.

AND I'm sure you can imagine how terrible I feel about my poor babies. And what a dummy I am... :(

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 50 different types of Lysol sprays. The active ingredient in all of them appears to be ethanol. The stuff people drink in cocktails for a good time.
3. Composition/information on ingredients Substance/mixture : Mixture
ethanol 30 - 60 64-17-5
butane 5 - 10 106-97-8
propane 1 - 5 74-98-6

Butane and propane are gasses usually used as a propellant.

You never know with fragrances but like I said there are 50 different ones and the ingredients aren't usually listed for those and these sprays are designed to be safe on almost any surface after a short time for anyone.

I would think the steps you have listed will be adequate and the Lysol quickly evaporates into the air. I would replace the carbon before returning the animals to the tank.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big WC (as much as you can manage, maybe like 50%) and polyfilter maybe? Im not super sure

Sorry for your loss, and I hope your tank recovers. Also, It's not your fault, so don't beat yourself up over it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Water change, lab grade carbon followed by another water change 24 hours and test for ammonia and nitrates the next 3 consecutive days to assure stability

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NewFishMom101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, thank you! I went to the store at lunch to get the carbon.
And you will not believe what I have done now. I thought I would get the Dr Tims First Defense... for stress relief since no doubt these fish are surely stressed out.
WELL I bought for FRESH water instead of SALT and just read it after I poured it into the QT tank. I promise I am not a total idiot, although the cards are stacked against me at this point. I sent the Dr Tim's support an emergency email asking for direction. Was hoping that they would say they aren't that much different... but does anyone know?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... this past Monday my sister & niece stopped by my work from home office (which is at my mother in laws) to see my new pistol shrimp/goby. Tuesday morning she informed me that my niece had Covid. So my MIL sprayed the whole room down with Lysol. She said she was careful not to spray above the tank but I think everything in the room got a thorough coating, I wasn't here when she sprayed but could smell it when I walked in the door. Everything seemed fine... but at lunch time, I changed out a filter pad that was sitting in a bin in the corner. Apparently (or at least this is what I think happened) it was covered with lysol... within an hour the fish started gasping and swimming crazy all around and at the top of the tank. I didn't realize what had happened until trying to figure it out later. So I frantically mixed up a couple gallons of water in a trash can and put the fish in. I lost the green chromis, but the two clownfish, YW goby and mandarin are recovering in the QT tank that I had to set up quickly (It was up previously but I had just taken it down about a week ago, ugh).
I don't know what to do to my tank to be able to return the fish. I'm running carbon and planning to do water change today. It's 36 gallon tank.
The fish ate this morning (frozen brine and can of cyclops with garlic), but I'm extremely worried about the mandarin (who only eats pods that I have observed). I had plenty of pods in the DT but this QT tank has nothing. I've got some pods growing in a 2 gallon tank, I put some in the QT yesterday but I don't know if I can sustain him for long. Wondering when the DT would be "safe" for them to return and how much water should I change out? All?
Sorry for the LONG message, but advise is appreciated.

AND I'm sure you can imagine how terrible I feel about my poor babies. And what a dummy I am... :(
If you can check the product label, see if it contains benzalkonium chloride (spelling?). Most Lysol sprays contain that. This is highly toxic to fish and gives the symptoms you described. Carbon is supposed to remove it, but there is no way to measure the rate of removal…
Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back