M.digitata periodically unhappy??

plankton

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
376
Reaction score
173
Location
Pleasanton, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for SPS experts. I have a one year old 25G lagoon tank, corals are growing, great color but about once per month my 8” digi colony polyps will partially contract and color off then recover and repeats!!

Whats the deal? Just did 4G water change in case there is something weird going on but otherwise tank chem is within parameters.

Any idea?

salinity 1.025, phosphate 0.16, alk 8.9

E865AC36-2007-4037-8577-962391CDBC8E.jpeg E67F0E26-A31C-4CCE-9CDE-9D1EA5F4760A.jpeg
 
your mag looks a little low. temp??
 
Yeah mag a bit low and was about to add some mag to raise to 1350. Temp is 77’ish
 

Attachments

  • DC3375CC-AE49-481D-A537-4BC6F5771276.jpeg
    DC3375CC-AE49-481D-A537-4BC6F5771276.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 68
Digis tend to like higher nutrient levels and the problem might be the water change.

I have the same problem in my 20L that is almost wall to wall montipora. If I do a water change I lose some color because of the nutrient export. This is just part of the grief with small tanks. Not enough volume to buffer nutrients when water is changed. Reds and oranges in my experience like 'spicy' water and dont handle phosphate dives. Same with a lot of birdsnests.

Unless you really need to export nitrate just back off water changes.
 
At one point my phosphates where 0.01 and m.digitata was super stressed to I stopped carbon dosing and started feeding tank twice as week and now phosphates at 0.16 So, I guess the increase in phosphates also stressed the digi. <sigh>
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new