m0jjen and his reefer 625 XXL - Lets get it right this time

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Some of you might have seen my reefer 425 XL thread, its a rather sad story really with back to back problems and a major headach. That aswell as my mother passing made lead to me neglecting the tank which already had alot of problems, dino, aefw and whatnot.

Mid october we found a house. We all know what that means, bigger tank! This tank will be started from "scratch" to just leave all my bad blood with the hobby behind. No second hand equipment, liverock or whatnot. New and clean!

The live rock from my previous systems are all second hand and I have no way to determent what its been through, so my LR has all been replaced and has been cycling in brute cans since early december.

Most of the equipment are getting upgraded and the setup will be:

Tank and stand: Red sea reefer 625 XXL
Skimmer: Nyos quantum 160
Return: Aquabee up 8000
Streamers: 2x Gyre FX250
Light: 3x Radion xr30w pro with RMS mounts
Calciumreactor: Grotech HCR150 (up to 4500L which probably is a load of crap). The reactor will get feed by a peristaltic pump, also from grotech, a SP4800
Controller: Apex 2016, PM1 module, AFS feeder, WMX module, along with two powerbars so i can plug in close to everything and controll it.

Salt and addetives used will be aquaforest, but i wont follow their dosing program. Just the salt. Ill have a refugium with chaeto and some liverock rubbel since the reefer sump has the dividing wall as a feature.

The system will mainly be SPS oriented with afew meaty LPS like acans and so on. Hopefully i can get it right this time!

The thread will be abit passive until the move mid february so be patient! :)

Picture since you all like them so much :)

20180111_145828.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yea! Can't wait!

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First hickup has arrived. Or well. More like poor planing i guess. Got some new uncured live rock on 17/1. Figured that id be able to cure it before 9/2. I did not take in account for the fact that uncured rock takes alot more time then pre-cured rock from the lfs rock tank.

Today i messured 1 ppm NH4 after roughly a week af bio s dosing (nitrifying bacteria). It has gone from 1.5 ppm tho. But i highly doubt it will be done in two weeks, thoughts?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can accelerate the time with something like Dr. Tim's One and Only (not sure if that product is available in Sweden, but worth checking into), but there's no getting around the cycle. I'm following along. This will be a great build!

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can accelerate the time with something like Dr. Tim's One and Only (not sure if that product is available in Sweden, but worth checking into), but there's no getting around the cycle. I'm following along. This will be a great build!

Yeah i know theres no getting round it :) Cant seem to find dr.tims in Sweden, probably could get it from ebay or amazon but it most likely would take afew weeks to arrive. Im not really in a big hurry to get this portion of rock going since i have about 30 kilos / 65 lbs of fresh rock thats cycled and ready since december, along with afew pieces of my current rock (estimated 10 kg / 22 lbs) and about 3 litres of freshly established siporax running in the cycled rock container so filtration will be there :)

Would be nice to get the scape done and introduce sand from the get go, the sand can be introduced later on :) Who knows. The rock wont be used for atleast 14 days from now (9/2) so the cycle might be about done then

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're using your cured rock along with the uncured, that will DEFINITELY speed things up!

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using your cured rock along with the uncured, that will DEFINITELY speed things up!

So basicly i could swap out 50% of the rock thats cured with 50% of the currently curing rock to speed things up?

In terms of weight and mass this would be 6 kilos of curing rock in each bucket with 15 kilos of already cycled and cured rock.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So basicly i could swap out 50% of the rock thats cured with 50% of the currently curing rock to speed things up?

In terms of weight and mass this would be 6 kilos of curing rock in each bucket with 15 kilos of already cycled and cured rock.
Yep. That would speed things up.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then ill do so! Was abit afraid it would put the cycled rock out of cycle and make everything go into a new cycle :)
Nope. That shouldn't be an issue. You're essentially putting live rock in with rock that needs to be populated with bacteria, so you're just spreading the "bacteria love" a bit by combining the two. ;)

djobaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the tank, thinking about the same one myself!

I understand there is a divider in the cabinet of the 625 and was hoping you could provide the dimensions of each section. For the build I would like to do, the larger sump section will need to be at least 44in. so I can change out the sump and run the Triton Method. I will also need at least 14in in the smaller section for an ATO and dosing containers. Based on Red Sea's description, I understand the whole length is 150cm (roughly 59 inches), but I believe that is an exterior measurement that does not represent sump/storage space accurately.

Also is the divider load bearing, or is it removable by design?

Please let me know when you have a moment, thanks!

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the tank, thinking about the same one myself!

I understand there is a divider in the cabinet of the 625 and was hoping you could provide the dimensions of each section. For the build I would like to do, the larger sump section will need to be at least 44in. so I can change out the sump and run the Triton Method. I will also need at least 14in in the smaller section for an ATO and dosing containers. Based on Red Sea's description, I understand the whole length is 150cm (roughly 59 inches), but I believe that is an exterior measurement that does not represent sump/storage space accurately.

Also is the divider load bearing, or is it removable by design?

Please let me know when you have a moment, thanks!
The messurements i know atm is that the big compartment of the sump is 50 by 50 cm without the divider. If you chose the "biggest" refugium size you get 23x50 refugium and 27x50 is the rest, if im not mistaking

Return section is 33x27 cm

Not sure what you mean by load bearing? It is removable by design since there is two slots for it depending on what your induvidul needs are :)

Sump total is 90x53x41 cm LxWxH so 44 inches (roughly 112 cm) wont fit

Right compartment of the stand is 48x75.5x59 LxHxW

Hope it helps. Can get more exact messurements tomorrow

djobaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The messurements i know atm is that the big compartment of the sump is 50 by 50 cm without the divider. If you chose the "biggest" refugium size you get 23x50 refugium and 27x50 is the rest, if im not mistaking

Not sure what you mean by load bearing? It is removable by design since there is two slots for it depending on what your induvidul needs are :)

Thanks for the info. To clarify I am looking at the cabinet space and want to remove the sump it comes with altogether and replace with the Trigger Systems Triton44 sump. The sump dimensions you provided (90x53x41 cm LxWxH) will take up the majority of the space in the dedicated section of the stand, but what is the length of this area? If you could provide this measurement along with the other compartment's length that would be great!

The divider I was curious about divides the inside of the stand into 2 sections. I think I might have caused some confusion here since the sump that comes with this tank has adjustable and removable dividers.

Sorry for the confusing/unique request... greatly appreciate your time and help!

djobaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the info. To clarify I am looking at the cabinet space and want to remove the sump it comes with altogether and replace with the Trigger Systems Triton44 sump. The sump dimensions you provided (90x53x41 cm LxWxH) will take up the majority of the space in the dedicated section of the stand, but what is the length of this area? If you could provide this measurement along with the other compartment's length that would be great!

The divider I was curious about divides the inside of the stand into 2 sections. I think I might have caused some confusion here since the sump that comes with this tank has adjustable and removable dividers.

Sorry for the confusing/unique request... greatly appreciate your time and help!

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah sorry for the confusion :) the left compartment is 97x59 cm (38.18x23.22 inches) footprint. The divider is bearing and pretty much is the core of the stand. Most parts connect of the stand connects to it and gets stable from it. The right compartment is 48x59 cm (18.89x23.22 inches) footprint

If you have any more questions id be happy to help :)

Last edited:

djobaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the info and quick response. Happy reefing and good luck with the build, will be following!

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the info and quick response. Happy reefing and good luck with the build, will be following!

You are most welcome! I know the struggle, been trying to get all the sump / cabinet messurments since october haha. Please do follow! I got a feeling it will be an awsome build! ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back