m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New toy arrived today.

27368576_10155934172211101_2768227941955764977_o.jpg

Lets just say i got indecisive in my skimmer choice so i went with a sure pony ;)

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! Wishing you the best of luck on this new build. Keep us posted...

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday is coming and im stoked! Friday means the tanks gets moved and i start filling it! Meanwhile some preping is beeing done to the room, new vinyl carpet for moist protection if i spill and what not!

27540253_10155951836051101_7287832453870887820_n.jpg 27540350_10155951836316101_5550132020952737605_n.jpg

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been abit quiet around here for some time. Moving to the house has been alot of work and time for updates has been lacking all in all!

But its time! There is still alot of things to be adjusted to say the least :)

FTS

20180225_160108-02.jpeg

20180225_160131-01.jpeg

Upcoming fragtank that will share sump, 60x40x35 full optiwhite. Lightning it will be a hydra 26HD. Dont know how to drill and plumb it as of yet, thinking about doing an intank balcony for space efficiency ;)d

20180225_160116-01.jpeg

Stocklist fishwise atm is

2x Amphiprion percula - Clownfish
1x Salarias fasciatus - Salarias
1x Oxycirrhites typus - Hawkfish
1x Cryptocentrus cinctus - Watchman goby
1x Zebrasoma xanthurum - Purple tang
1x Acanthurus leucosternon - Powder blue tang
6x Anthias squamipinnis - Lyretail Anthias
1x Nemateleotris decora - Purple Firefish
1x Ecsenius midas - Midas Blenny
1x Chelmon rostratus - Copperbanded butterfly
1x Pseudocheilinus hexataenia - Sixline wrasse (currently in sump, going into the fragtank)

Im hoping to get afew more wrasses for the DT soon enough, im thinking of getting 1x Paracheilinus carpenteri, Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse and a pair of Macropharyngodon bipartitus, Blue Star Leopard Wrasse :)

Hardware wise i pulled the trigger on two mp40qd and put the gyres in the back to get little to no deadspots at all.

All in all the move went smooth, lost 1 anthias. Sad as it is im okay with that, was expecting alot more as a worstcase scenario. Next weekened ill visit a local hobbyist friend and pick up alot of acro frags to stock the tank up with corals, so stay tuned!

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks incredible! Mind sharing pictures of your sump?

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks incredible! Mind sharing pictures of your sump?
Thank you! I dont mind at all. Nothing fancy going on down there

Huge butt skimmer (bk super marine 200) calcium reactor and biggest possible fuge. The fuge got some rubble in it at the moment. Dont know if ill keep it

20180225_233835.jpg

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recipe for success with that fuge! My personal biggest regret with my tank is foregoing one. How have all the anthias treated you thus far? Any losses?

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recipe for success with that fuge! My personal biggest regret with my tank is foregoing one. How have all the anthias treated you thus far? Any losses?
Ye i like fuges. They have alot benefits!

Had 3 when we started the move, lost one the first 24 hours (only livestock loss). Bought 4 new once this friday bringing the total to 6, all are eating both pellets and frozen food :)

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You win some you lose some. First month of the tank didnt really go as smooth as planed. Bought some new anthias to expand the school, ended up introducing velvet/oodinium into the tank since i didnt qt them. To this date 12 fish died pretty rapidly.

5 x Anthias squamipinnis
2 x Amphiprion ocellaris
1 x Synchiropus splendidus
1 x Pygoplites diacanthus
1 x Acanthurus leucosternon
1 x Ecsenius midas
1 x Chelmon rostratus

Remaining fish at this moment is:

Xanthurum zebrasoma
Nemateleotris decora
Oxycirrhites typus
Salarias fasciatus
Pseudocheilinus hexataenia

One i get a fishtrap and some other equipment to start a hospital/qt tank ill catch them and start to QT for 4 weeks. They all were infected with velvet and had spots on them, somehow they survived and are now "spot free". But the disease is still present in the tank so removing them is a must before restocking.

On the coral side everything is running pretty good actually. Fragtank is up and i've gotten some frags from a local friend. I also posted a triton ICP test last week and should get the results monday/thuesday. It will be interesting to see where everythings at since when testing it seems stable and fine for the time beeing. :)

To quote Benjamin Franklin, "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - I learned my lesson. quarantine your fish.

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized im really bad at keeping my promises regarding updates on my tank treads. A ton has happened, alot more corals and what not has moved in and the fragtank is up and pretty stocked aswell. All the survivors of marine velvet (oodinium) are in quarantain since atleast 2 weeks back leaving the system fallow for the time beeing. Since im doing QT now im gonna leave the tank empty for 11 weeks (to rid ich aswell) while im at it. I figured why not?

Alot of hardware has been upgraded / changed aswell. I got the new radion diffusers for my xr30w lights, and they really are amazing. They really spread the light alot and the disco effect is alot less. The shimmer is really what i personally like with them on!

3.jpg

The filtration has been changed aswell. Had to dose nitrate to even keep macroalgae alive so i figured why even bother? And closed down the refugium completely and replaced it with a clairsea sk5000. The amount of junk it pulls out is stunning, even in a fallow tank. I really dont know who but it does. :p

1.jpg

The watermovement has changed from two mp40qd and two gyre fx250 to four mp40qd instead, im lazy and they're easier to clean and program. Pretty much the reason :D

I just got a triton result back, the reason i did it was the fact that i had STN on two acroporas and couldnt for the life of me figure out why, the results are pretty flawless and i think i figured out whats up with the acros. Really really low phosphate! I've been dosing both nitrate and phosphate since i removed the fish, seems like i have to increase it and feed the invertebrates still in the tank more.

doc1.jpg
doc2.jpg
doc3.jpg

FTS, still some green cyano, on its way back tho!

2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Been slacking on the posting during the summer. Weather in Sweden has been insanely good! The tank has been somewhat neglected but not completely. In may i started a fallow period of 80 days (yes i know, overkill but i figured why not?). I have 4 surviving fish after the velvet struck the tank:

1x Oxycirrhites typus
1x Zebrasoma xanthurum
1x Anthias squamipinnis
1x Pseudocheilinus hexataenia

These have been in the tank for about 30 days now and everything seems fine. In the future i will QT all additions to the system since i dont wanto repeat this ever again.

Im currently struggeling abit with green cyano, I cant really determine the cause for it nor has any attempts of batteling it succeeded. What i've done is add nutrients, both N & P, but mostly nitrate along with manual removal and turkeybastering whatever i cant remove. Based on my previous triton i had really low phosphate which i frankly dont know if its relevant. The organic load cant be that high either after 80 days fallow with minimum feeding along with inorganic dosing of nitrate and phosphate. Even if i overfeed it shouldnt do much since i have a clarisea and i really oversized skimmer (BK super marine 200). They should be able to handle it.

Any ideas on how to battle this green sluge from hell?

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been slacking alot. Winter is coming and so is the time to spend on the tank (yay)!

Im currently in the process of introducing new fish to the tank after my velvet wipe. My current tankmates are:

1x Long nosed hawkfish
1x Purple tang
1x Lyretail Anthias
1x Sixline wrasse (frag tank)
1x Copperbanded butterfly
1x Mandarin

Currently in TTM is

6x Lyretail Anthias
1x Yellow tang

I have 6 more fish on my list which will end up at a total of 19 fish in the total of 730 litres. During this summer i have had alot of changes to the tank which altered the nutrients and what not so i decided to send a triton test which resultet in the following:

triton 2018-09-03-1.jpg triton 2018-09-03-2.jpg triton 2018-09-03-3.jpg

The most remarkable thing for me is the low phosphate at 0.012, the previous test came in at 0.006 which made me dose some po4 periodically. For the 3 weeks before sending the test i've been dosing daily since my corals were pale and generally unhappy and i figured that id give it a shoot. Evenso the results are still to low in my opinion. I also have some elevated trace elements and i figured they are due to me dosing red sea colors, the growth rate has been abit low and i link it together with the low nutrients.

The ever so annoying problem, green cyano

Even if my corals are looking better and growing better since i started doing PO4 about 4-5 weeks ago i still cant seem to shake the cyano. I've been doing nitrates in the form of KNO3 daily aswell and maintain a level of 5 ppm. I mechanically remove with i can every 1-2 days and turkeybaster whatever i cant get to. This gets it suspended in the water and eventually it gets trapped by my clarisea auto filter. Within 3-5 days its all back. Its cyano bacteria and not spirulina. One thing i have noticed the past few weeks is the fact that im getting diatom algae on the glass which to me seems like a good sign due to competition in the tank for nutrients. I also have a stable green algae film every 3-4 days with seem like another good indicator of health and competition within the system.

Maybe ill beat it soon enough, i dont know. But if you have any pointers hit me up! ;) And to wrap this post up a picture of my Montipora Setosa which is growing and look ever so healthy!

20180906_183245.jpg

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your setting on Radion ? I just got the same tank and light as yours.

RickJamesYeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud,
Just got a Reefer 625 and thinking of installing a ClariSea sk5000 as well. I assume you needed to remove the filter sock area correct? Can you post more detailed pics of your setup? Anything you would do different? Thanks!

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm surprised you are not burning up your corals setting it pass 75%.

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud,
Just got a Reefer 625 and thinking of installing a ClariSea sk5000 as well. I assume you needed to remove the filter sock area correct? Can you post more detailed pics of your setup? Anything you would do different? Thanks!

Yes you will need to remove the filterstock glas and make space in that compartment. I needed to make a stand and some elbow plumbing for my clarisea since i have 2 additional pipes coming down from my fragtank that share sump with the display. I dont quite remember if the clarisea would fit straight on the standard overflow pipe or if you actually need some additional plumbing anyway.

Wow I'm surprised you are not burning up your corals setting it pass 75%.

Well, im quite suprised by the par i was getting when i messured. I started at 65% and got a par around 150-200 in most of my tank with the diffusers along with the red sea tank cover. I took alot of messurements with an Apogee MQ-210 and to get in the ideal range (according to BRS and coral labs) of 250-350 i actually had to push the light to 100% AB+, which isnt 100% on all channels. With the par loss of the diffuser and tank cover its actually quite equal to 75% without those two parwise. My scape is also quite low, the highest point is about halfway down from the surface, so about 30-35 cm down.

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud,

I made a temporary (permanent? :D) stand for the clarisea after removing the socks and the glas needed. I will 3d print a new stand (soon™) to make it more stable.

20181217_132942.jpg

The plumbing is the standard overflow, just shortened the pipe and slammed on a union for easy removal and cleaning of the clarisea. You probably dont need the 90 degree bends but i do since i have my fragtank overflow pipes coming down and needed some distans.

20181217_133101.jpg

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for that update i've been mentioning aswell!

FTS

FTS1.jpg

New toy

20181217_144606.jpg

Some top to bottoms

20181217_140543.jpg

20181217_140551.jpg

20181217_140602.jpg

20181217_140606.jpg

20181217_140622.jpg

Tank is doing good. Think are finally coloring up, growing and my latest triton came in with a full set of green lights and a clean bill of health! :) Happy reefing

FTS1.jpg

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time for that update i've been mentioning aswell!

FTS

FTS1.jpg

New toy

20181217_144606.jpg

Some top to bottoms

20181217_140543.jpg

20181217_140551.jpg

20181217_140602.jpg

20181217_140606.jpg

20181217_140622.jpg

Tank is doing good. Think are finally coloring up, growing and my latest triton came in with a full set of green lights and a clean bill of health! :) Happy reefing

FTS1.jpg

Great news! How's the Alkatronic treating you? Stunning tank! Any updates?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back