MACNA 2016 will be in San Diego!

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual it is scheduled at a non family friendly time. I guess it will be many years before I get to attend one.

I can not speak for other clubs, but there is no way that we would have been able to get affordable rates for hotel rooms prior to Labor Day. San Diego isn't called America's Finest City for nothing. Until MACNA attendees are willing to spend $200 - $250 a night for hotel rooms, figure it will always be around Labor Day weekend.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My reservations are made. This is going to be a REALLY nice venue!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While the room rate does go up when you add more people, that certainly would not include children. I would just register for the room in a bed configuration that works for you and you should be good. If there is a problem, just reach out to me and we will get you taken care of.
In the fine print it even says children are free. So, I took your advice and made the reservation with # of guests = # of ADULT guests. Then once you get to the confirmation pages, it asks for # of children. I put in 2 (so it now shows my wife and I and our 2 kids), and the price stayed at the conference rate.

So, I thought I'd share this for anyone else who runs into the same question about kids. They should register only the adult guests and then input # of kids in the confirmation info. :)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not speak for other clubs, but there is no way that we would have been able to get affordable rates for hotel rooms prior to Labor Day. San Diego isn't called America's Finest City for nothing. Until MACNA attendees are willing to spend $200 - $250 a night for hotel rooms, figure it will always be around Labor Day weekend.

They will spend $500 on a frag but not on a weekend. Other conferences don't have any issues having theirs during the summer.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning MACNA was held in the spring for many years. I don't know the reasoning about the time of year. But any time of the year their will be an issue with someone.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning MACNA was held in the spring for many years. I don't know the reasoning about the time of year. But any time of the year their will be an issue with someone.

That is true. I don't remember it ever being in the spring but even though I've been reefing since the early 90's I didn't pay any attention to it back then. It just makes it impossible to go for people with kids, at least ones that want them to experience other places. I would have loved to have gone to Washington this year. There is a ton of stuff including a lot of educational things for the family to do and see. We were already planning to go to DC in the summer 2016 so if MACNA had been at a vacation friendly time we could have scheduled a 10 day trip for the family this year. Same with San Diego, would love to make it a 10 day trip but can't without the kids. And no I can't just pull them out of school. They are very strict about truancy around these parts. Been to court for it and it isn't fun. I guess I will just have to wait for it to be in Houston or Dallas again before I get to go. Importing corals will probably be illegal before that happens.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having gone to many MACNA's I just wouldn't want to bring kids to it. My wife use to go when she had a fellow aquarist wife to go shopping with. I get so busy meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones that I have found it easier for her to stay home. Really MACNA is my reward for being a good boy all year. MACNA could be anywhere as I never leave to hotel. The weekend is to network and enjoy talking Reef for 4 days straight.

BNUTTHEHUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is at the Town And Country Resort in Fashion Valley. It is 15 minutes from the airport and downtown. Fashion Valley Mall is one of the largest shopping malls in San Diego and it is directly across the parking lot from the hotel. Send your significant other over there to shop while you are buying corals and fish!

There is a direct link to the hotel on the MACNA 2016 website. You have to use the website link to get the $134 rate. Parking will be free for exhibitors and $5 a day for attendees. The resort fee is waived so free WiFi.

Is the conference at the San diego convention center or inside the town and country meeting hall?

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the conference at the San diego convention center or inside the town and country meeting hall?

It is at the Town and Country. This hotel has the largest exhibit space in one room outside of the convention center. Even the bigger hotels downtown do not have a room big enough to do this show. The Grand Hall at the T&C is 5000 to 6000 square feet bigger than any other hotel ballroom in San Diego.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave will be at the Smokey Mountain Coral Expo in Tennessee tomorrow. If you are from those parts, stop by and see him!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I would like to bring kids to the show area. My wife could find plenty to do the weekend of the show. She took the 3 kids to Europe for 10 days so I would think a weekend in San Diego would be no problem.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember way, way, back when I was a wee lad that everybody went back to school around Sept. 15th. Nowadays, at least in San Diego, the schedule is all over the place. We have so many charter schools, year round schools, and special programs that kids seem to always be in school somewhere. Hopefully people will be able to come up with a good solution. I think no matter what time of year MACNA is held, some people just will not be able to attend.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember way, way, back when I was a wee lad that everybody went back to school around Sept. 15th. Nowadays, at least in San Diego, the schedule is all over the place. We have so many charter schools, year round schools, and special programs that kids seem to always be in school somewhere. Hopefully people will be able to come up with a good solution. I think no matter what time of year MACNA is held, some people just will not be able to attend.

Dave had to chisel his homework into stone slabs just everyone knows.

BNUTTHEHUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is at the Town and Country. This hotel has the largest exhibit space in one room outside of the convention center. Even the bigger hotels downtown do not have a room big enough to do this show. The Grand Hall at the T&C is 5000 to 6000 square feet bigger than any other hotel ballroom in San Diego.
Thanks. Yeah that room is hugh. They use it to hand out badges for comic con. Just wanted to confirm since the website has photos of downtown.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The lodging looks awesome! Venue looks awesome! San Diego is awesome! MACNA is already awesome! So...this is going to be AWESOME!!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little bump up. We have opened up more space for exhibitors since our original exhibit hall sold out the week of MACNA 2015. If you have been unsure of whether or not you plan to attend MACNA 2016, do not miss it! It is going to be epic! We already have a huge number of people that have purchased their full conference pass and tons of exhibitors. There will be some exciting, never before seen at MACNA elements to the show as well. Purchase your full conference passes now before the price jumps. Visit our website at www.macnaconference.org/2016

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back