MACNA 2016 will be in San Diego!

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. And they are contractually obligated to that time frame with us.

This is one example of what the rooms will look like.
hotel_room_t837.jpg

The work has already started and is expected to be complete for our room block. We are looking forward to it!

I'm really excited MACNA is in SD. Is this renovation still on track? This hotel is still getting some rough reviews as of late.

As someone already mentioned, why is the rate higher with more than two people to a room? I don't see any fine print stating there would be an upcharge. I've gotten the rate no matter what from past MACNA'S. Sure, I can cheat the system and put down 2, but that's really not my character & knowing my luck, they will double charge me.

From the bad reviews, it seems the add on charges is common for this resort. I know it is stated there is no resort fee, but should we be worried about any other added on fees? Convention fee, etc.

Thanks for any detail.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really excited MACNA is in SD. Is this renovation still on track? This hotel is still getting some rough reviews as of late.

As someone already mentioned, why is the rate higher with more than two people to a room? I don't see any fine print stating there would be an upcharge. I've gotten the rate no matter what from past MACNA'S. Sure, I can cheat the system and put down 2, but that's really not my character & knowing my luck, they will double charge me.

From the bad reviews, it seems the add on charges is common for this resort. I know it is stated there is no resort fee, but should we be worried about any other added on fees? Convention fee, etc.

Thanks for any detail.

Almost all hotels charge more for multiple guests in a room beyond what the room has for beds. This is a common practice. They do not, however, do this in situations such as when a couple is traveling with children. If you need one room with two beds then that is what you should register for. There is nothing clandestine about doing that. Now if you are putting four adults in a single room and want roll away beds for two of them, then yes you will be charged more for that. It is still way cheaper than getting another room.

As far as other "fees" go, there are none. You have the cost of the room and local taxes. The local hotel tax I believe is 14% and that will be the same no matter what hotel you stay at. That tax is set by the city and the hotel has no control over that. Parking is $5 a day. The resort fee has been waived completely which means that internet and other typical charges are free. There are no other fees other than restaurants, spa, etc. which are added on costs that will differ from guest to guest.

Most of the bad reviews that I have seen for the hotel are from people that are not staying there under a negotiated group like MACNA is. Various fees and charges for services in the hotel have not been addressed in those cases. As far as the renovation goes, yes it is still on track. Most, if not all, of the rooms in our room block will have been completely renovated by the time MACNA arrives. We are confident that people will be happy with the service and look and feel of the hotel.

We have a lot in store for MACNA this year. We are finalizing plans for our Friday night reception at the Port Pavillion on the Broadway Pier which will truly showcase San Diego. It is right next to the USS Midway Museum, directly across the bay from North Island, home to two of the Navy's aircraft carriers, and we just found out that another active Navy ship will be docked right next to us in preparation for Fleet Week. It is going to be a fabulous evening!

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We may actually be providing shuttle service into the Gas Lamp District. We are still putting together details. There is lots to do in San Diego on a beautiful weekend evening!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never gotten the whole sight seeing thing. When I go to MACNA I never leave the hotel or the bars or room parties. I could care less about where MACNA is held I am there to talk corals for 3 straight days. [emoji3]

OP
OP
MACNA2016

MACNA2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just felt like it was time to post an update on what's going on with the MACNA planning. We are in high gear now. We have had and continue to have teams going to many of the frag swaps and shows like RAP around the country to help get the word out. We have people headed to Reefstock this weekend as well as RAP Orlando in April. We have noticed that a lot of people in Southern California don't even know what MACNA is. We need to continue talking it up on the forums, especially in So Cal. Remember, the club here in San Diego will benefit financially once this is all said and done. It is worth it for us to be successful and we won't be if we don't get the help from everybody that we can. Please help spread the news.

Tickets are selling very well. Currently the only tickets available on the MACNA website are full conference passes, banquet tickets, and reception tickets. We will put single day, exhibit only, and multiple day exhibit/speaker passes on sale a couple of months prior to the show. The current price for full conference passes is $129. That is going to go up to $139 very soon. If you haven't purchased your full conference pass yet, I would suggest doing so very soon. We are planning to have some great entertainment at the banquet this year as well as a terrific meal.

Friday night is taking shape too. We will be holding the Friday night reception at the Port Pavillion on Broadway Pier. This is a great venue and since Fleet Week will be taking place, we have been informed that the Navy will have an active duty warship docked right next to the pier. So the USS Midway will be to the south and another ship will be docked to the north. We will have a great selection of Southern California food and bars with soft drinks, wine, liquor, and beer, including several local brews. We are currently looking at different bands to decide on the evening's entertainment. Rest assured, this is going to be a very fun event in and of itself.

So, hopefully that gives you a taste of some of the highlights that we have in store for MACNA attendees. Oh and don't forget the tremendous line up of speakers. Jeff has been working hard to secure speakers that everyone will really enjoy. We have 26 spots to fill and 20 of them are filled so far. MACNA 2016 will be a very informative and educational event for sure. We have also sold more than 140 exhibit booths. So much so that we had to open up a secondary exhibit space. There are still booths left, but it seems like every week another booth is being booked. When all is said and done, I believe we will have over 160 exhibitors total. That is a show that is significantly larger than RAP or MAX. The raffles will be gigantic as well.

Please feel free to post any questions that you may have here in this thread. Also, if you have a particular speaker that you would like to see or any other suggestions, please do not hesitate to bring them up here. We are happy to consider any and all ideas to help make this the best event that it can be.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you have a particular speaker that you would like to see or any other suggestions, please do not hesitate to bring them up here.
I think you need a guy for wrasses who's already planing to be in attendance. ;)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never gotten the whole sight seeing thing. When I go to MACNA I never leave the hotel or the bars or room parties. I could care less about where MACNA is held I am there to talk corals for 3 straight days. [emoji3]
I'm the opposite, haha.
We went to Miami MACNA. Spent most of Saturday at the show and the rest of the weekend was spent on beach, at the pool, and a little sight seeing. :cool:
I didn't even bother with DC. Yuk.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't make a reservation because my card will expire before then..... that bloody sucks!
Sure you can; you'll just need to update your card when you check-in. Or call the hotel after you get your new one.

Or was that to say their system won't let you do it?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm the opposite, haha.
We went to Miami MACNA. Spent most of Saturday at the show and the rest of the weekend was spent on beach, at the pool, and a little sight seeing. :cool:
I didn't even bother with DC. Yuk.

One bit of sight seeing might be the tide pools at Scripps. Ive met hand fulls of brittle stars and slugs bigger than my palm. and if you snorkel La Jolla cove. Jus sayin'
Nerd Heaven.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reserved a room earlier today without issue. Probably won't accept yours due to the expiration.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reserved a room earlier today without issue. Probably won't accept yours due to the expiration.

Yes, I just don't have a card that is not expiring before sept. It gave me the error. *CC must not expire before check in date*

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back