MACNA First Timer Here, What Can I Expect?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am excited to say that I will be attending MACNA next weekend! I'm super pumped about going, but I wanted to hear from everyone else about what I can expect. For instance, I've heard folks say that you can get a year's supply of fish food or coral glue in samples alone whereas others have told me that you have to be persistent to get any freebies/takehomes.

What is your opinion on this? Any tips or tricks for getting the most out of the conference?

Also, how are the coral sales? How do prices compare at MACNA versus online or in-store if a coral seller has a brick and mortar location? I'm hoping to get something super neat to bring back home for my tank, sort of as a living souvenir!

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be afraid to ask for samples. Some people give them away and others are a little more selective. Same goes with T-shirts. As far as corals and prices go, I think they are pretty comparable to online prices but you can really see for yourself what they look like. You can also meet the guys that you are dealing with and place a face with the name and company. That is always nice. The networking aspect of it is worth the trip alone.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prepare to be in heaven. I went in DC and it was absolutely spectacular. Incredible how many booths there are. No joke, i got lost lol. Bring a cooler for frags (great deals, especially on the last day) and try to see the speakers. The show tanks are awesome too, and make sure to enter all the raffles! Enjoy!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be afraid to ask for samples. Some people give them away and others are a little more selective. Same goes with T-shirts. As far as corals and prices go, I think they are pretty comparable to online prices but you can really see for yourself what they look like. You can also meet the guys that you are dealing with and place a face with the name and company. That is always nice. The networking aspect of it is worth the trip alone.
The guest speakers are stupendous! Make sure to go to a couple of those :)
Prepare to be in heaven. I went in DC and it was absolutely spectacular. Incredible how many booths there are. No joke, i got lost lol. Bring a cooler for frags (great deals, especially on the last day) and try to see the speakers. The show tanks are awesome too, and make sure to enter all the raffles! Enjoy!
Thank you all for your input!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often the coral deals start showing up on suday, with vendors placing signs up stating things like 20% off, etc.
Sadly I'll only be able to go Saturday, so I'll probably get to pay full price haha

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back