Macro algae dying in reactor

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I setup a macro algae reactor about 6 weeks ago for my 12 gallon FOWLR tank. It's my first saltwater tank I was given about 2 years ago and so far been using it to learn more about the hobby before getting a larger one and diving into corals. Occupants include 1 clown, 1 orchid dottyback, yellow watchman/pistol pair, tuxedo urchin and a few hermits and snails.

IMG_0695.JPG

First 4 weeks things went as expected - during which I had two clean outs with good growth and reduced nutrient count. Today (3rd cleanup) I found a slimy mess in the reactor. Only thing I have done different is I introduced amphipods and the urchin after the last reactor clean out ~2 weeks ago, both ordered from Algaebarn. Light schedules are also unchanged. I run my reactor lights opposite to the DT lights. I haven't done any water changes in 5 months.. only replaced small water losses during reactor clean outs. My phosphates are ~10ppm and nitrates are zero (API tests - I know get a better brand test). Phosphates went up a little as they were zero 2 weeks ago. Salinity right at 1.024 based on my refractometer.

I can only think of 2 reasons for the slime: nutrients too low (unlikely since I continue to see a little GHA in the tank) or somehow the pods screwed things up.

Any thoughts would be great. Thank you!

OP
OP
Tradevg

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the quick response. I had turned the flow down a smidge after adding the pods, but just for a few days to let them get settled. I had added them directly into the reactor. Didn't think that'd make such a difference. Turned up the flow already. Is it more the better in your experience?

Hopefully the remaining chaeto stock isn't too far gone to recover.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to add bugs to the DT. They'll make their way around the tank from there.

And yea. Just like corals and terrestrial plans. They do need good flow.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not changing water means you are not replacing some elements the algae needs to grow other than PO4 and NO3. Do some water chAnges should help

OP
OP
Tradevg

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert or as experienced as you guys so did a 15% change. The point of the algae was to reduce water changes and seems many people have been able successfully do so. What other elements does chaeto consume?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is one.

It might be worth a shot.
I'm not a big fan of the never doing water changes thing. Fwiw.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert or as experienced as you guys so did a 15% change. The point of the algae was to reduce water changes and seems many people have been able successfully do so. What other elements does chaeto consume?

Reduce, not eliminate. Unless you are able to replace whatever the algae needs.

Also could be a flow problem through the reactor.

OP
OP
Tradevg

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha.. forgot I also was running purigen in my canister which I removed when I cleaned it during the water change. Perhaps it is a lack of nutrients since the algae had good growth for the first month.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae consume ammonia/ammonium, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, CO2 from their air, and alk from the alk, and metals.

Probably not too bright though... those strip lights are very weak.

OP
OP
Tradevg

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if that was the case, why would the chaeto grow like crazy for 4 weeks under same lights. Gonna try feeding a little more but afraid my stock is too far gone. Its all clumped up at the top of the reactor.

OP
OP
Tradevg

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tried water changes, checked flow, put in fresh batch of chaeto. Within a month the algae was dying. Didn’t get a single cleanup - no growth. I think the theory is sound but for some reason not working for me. So I am giving up algae reactors. Ughh.

DropInTheOcean Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tradevg.. I’ve been having the same issue with mine. Chaeto growing in sumo but not in reactor.. I tried turning down the lights, hope it works!

Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back