macro algae for seahorse tank

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seahorse tank that I would like to add macro algae to. I'm a bit scared of macros that can quickly take over a tank- also scared of them going sexual and nuking my tank.. Not sure how common that is? Anyway, two questions:

1. what macro algae would you recommend for a seahorse tank given my fears lol
2. I can't quarantine them, but is there another way to ensure no pests come in on them?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fear of macro algae take over or a sexual event by macro are GREATLY exaggerated.

Education is the best cure for FEAR.

Table of Contents

when fast growing macroalgae (not all macro is fast growing) bottoms out inorganic nutrients, as a survival technique, that macro will die and spread spores as a survival technique.

Bortacladia is collected in 30’-130’ of water. When I get it from the divers, it is a rich burgundy. If shocked with too much light it will lose its flotation balls and dissolve. When Bortacladia grows in brighter light it turns fire engine red and under intense light it turns yellow/orange.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa varieties are the only ones with a growth rate fast enough to be annoyed with.
Although, IF KEPT UNDER CONTROLL, they would make excellent hitching posts for your lil equestrian friends.

I have a nice thick patch of Caulerpa prolifera that has a dense forest vibe that adds beautiful movement and excellent shelter in the tank.. I just pinch-off the new runners once a week or so.

All the other macros need a snip and clean up much less often..
@Subsea was right to make a point about watching your nutrient levels.. once my macros come in thick, they sucked all the NO3 and PO4 out of my system. I have to dose daily to keep it present.

Seahorse+macroalgae=heavenly magic on earth!
Excited to see your progress! - Drew

20230926_222523.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back