Macro algae iwagumi aquascape

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone -

I'm one of those aquarists that loves both the freshwater planted and reef side. I'm also the admin over at ScapeCrunch, a forum for freshwater planted aquarium hobbyists.

One of our members just set up a beautiful macro algae saltwater tank using a Japanese stone aquascape style called iwagumi. It was popularized by Takashi Amano for freshwater planted aquarium aquascaping but more and more it is used in the saltwater side.

Here is his set up. Those are green star polyps simulating a lawn. Should look great when they start to come out.

compressed.jpg

You can read more about it here if you're interested: Saltwater iwagumi - UNS 45U

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optiwhite <3 I know I must be crazy but I would drill the overflow hehe. This is absolutely stunning anyway x)

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone -

I'm one of those aquarists that loves both the freshwater planted and reef side. I'm also the admin over at ScapeCrunch, a forum for freshwater planted aquarium hobbyists.

One of our members just set up a beautiful macro algae saltwater tank using a Japanese stone aquascape style called iwagumi. It was popularized by Takashi Amano for freshwater planted aquarium aquascaping but more and more it is used in the saltwater side.

Here is his set up. Those are green star polyps simulating a lawn. Should look great when they start to come out.

compressed.jpg

You can read more about it here if you're interested: Saltwater iwagumi - UNS 45U
Awesome looking build! The atmosphere of the tank exudes so much peace! I am concerned about two things though; some freshwater rocks are known to leech harmful contaminants that are more of an issue saltwater like silicates and heavy metals (though not everyone has issues) and flame scallops often starve in captivity as they require large quantities of phytoplankton (dosing twice a day, perhaps) though the resulting nutrients could benefit the macroalgae in such a sparsely stocked setup. Seagrasses (ex. Halophila decipiens) and low-lying, rooted macroalgae (ex. Caulerpa brachypus) can be used to form carpets on the sand alongside the star polyps (though they can be difficult to come by and seagrasses require DSB's) and livestock like guppies and mangrove trees would be awesome ways of bridging the gap between saltwater and freshwater since they can tolerate both environments.
Thought I would share my thoughts here as well as on the linked forum.

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking build! The atmosphere of the tank exudes so much peace! I am concerned about two things though; some freshwater rocks are known to leech harmful contaminants that are more of an issue saltwater like silicates and heavy metals (though not everyone has issues) and flame scallops often starve in captivity as they require large quantities of phytoplankton (dosing twice a day, perhaps) though the resulting nutrients could benefit the macroalgae in such a sparsely stocked setup. Seagrasses (ex. Halophila decipiens) and low-lying, rooted macroalgae (ex. Caulerpa brachypus) can be used to form carpets on the sand alongside the star polyps (though they can be difficult to come by and seagrasses require DSB's) and livestock like guppies and mangrove trees would be awesome ways of bridging the gap between saltwater and freshwater since they can tolerate both environments.
Thought I would share my thoughts here as well as on the linked forum.
Great comments! I hadn't thought about the leaching for freshwater rocks and I know nothing about the flame scallops.

Tom.E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone -

compressed.jpg

Also would like to mention that some of the nusiance macroalgaes in SW make nice ground cover growth like some of the aquatic mosses you see in Amano planted tanks.

Couple of my native tanks.

P1000614w.gif

P1000593w.gif

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would like to mention that some of the nusiance macroalgaes in SW make nice ground cover growth like some of the aquatic mosses you see in Amano planted tanks.

Couple of my native tanks.

P1000614w.gif

P1000593w.gif
i imagine you do not keep tangs.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yoooo this is Hiep's tank! That's awesome to see it be spread over here! (I don't think he's on R2R)

If anyone is interested, here's his Instagram , he posted some recent pics and the Pictus blenny in there is amazing. I think he still has the title of "Best Aquascape in America" from taking 4th in the IAPLC that one year (I could be wrong though, perhaps someone else in the US took that spot).

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yoooo this is Hiep's tank! That's awesome to see it be spread over here! (I don't think he's on R2R)

If anyone is interested, here's his Instagram , he posted some recent pics and the Pictus blenny in there is amazing. I think he still has the title of "Best Aquascape in America" from taking 4th in the IAPLC that one year (I could be wrong though, perhaps someone else in the US took that spot).
Steven Chong holds the title for the Best Aquascape in America with a 2nd place IAPLC win in 2020. His work was called Undying:
iaplc2020_02_01.jpg

Back