Macro algea taking over my tank

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm facing nutrients issue which I'm trying slowly getting back control.

Nutrients issue aside. How do I get rid of macro algea that taking over my tank? Any cleaning crew that will eat these things?

My 2 tangs don't seem to care at all.

20200707_122041.jpg 20200707_122048.jpg 20200707_122102.jpg 20200707_122113.jpg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Ulva. Which two tangs do you have? I thought that most of them (exceptions of zooplanktivores like hippo tangs) would go crazy for that?

Herbivores in general tend to target newer growth. It's more tender than older growth, so during water changes to control nutrients, consider plucking out the macroalgae and siphoning it out.

OP
OP
uhupong

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 yellow Tang and blue yellow belly hippo Tang.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tuxedo urchin loves Ulva. Both as food and as decoration. This is the only blue tuxedo I’ve ever had so I don’t know if they all love Ulva but it might be worth looking into if you think your tank could support one long term.

(He’s the round dark blob under the floating cloud of Ulva here)

30598B40-CCA9-4705-8686-CC8461082007.jpeg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the yellow tang should be going to town on the ulva, how heavily are you feeding? The hippo tang won’t go after Ulva unfortunately, they prefer meatier foods. A Ctenochaetus tang or similar grazing fish would also help with managing the Ulva as well.

But hey, at least it’s better than GHA

OP
OP
uhupong

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the yellow tang should be going to town on the ulva, how heavily are you feeding? The hippo tang won’t go after Ulva unfortunately, they prefer meatier foods. A Ctenochaetus tang or similar grazing fish would also help with managing the Ulva as well.

But hey, at least it’s better than GHA
I'm feeding 4 cubes frozen food daily for my625xxl redsea tank which is about 130 gallons.

I had one good sized wrasse disappeared/died last couple weeks in which I believe is a culprit of a problem.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in the tank? Four cubes of frozen a day seems like a lot; what’s your usual medley of food that you give?

OP
OP
uhupong

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 anthias, 2 clown, 2 tangs, 1 file fish, 1 fairly wrasse.

This isn't a large nutrients input as I've been controlling it for the past 2.5 years. One redhead wrasse died spiked thing up.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see....hmmm, do you feed nori sheets? If so, consider cutting back on them so the yellow tang will start going after Ulva instead.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm facing nutrients issue which I'm trying slowly getting back control.

Nutrients issue aside. How do I get rid of macro algea that taking over my tank? Any cleaning crew that will eat these things?

My 2 tangs don't seem to care at all.

20200707_122041.jpg 20200707_122048.jpg 20200707_122102.jpg 20200707_122113.jpg
I’m having the same issue right now - stuff grows fast. My Chevron Tang won’t touch the stuff. Picked up a small urchin today.

Anyonw know if any snails, hermits or crabs will eat it?

OP
OP
uhupong

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same issue right now - stuff grows fast. My Chevron Tang won’t touch the stuff. Picked up a small urchin today.

Anyonw know if any snails, hermits or crabs will eat it?
They LL eat but at very slow speed in which won't out compete the algea.

Afaylenerich88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to remove as much as you can via airline tube and pinching it off. Then sick out remainder floating in tank, when replacing water lost from cleaning. Add some LIVE ROCK ENHANCE!!!!!!. This will kill and out compete it for the rock. It qill also make your bio team much stronger at keeping things off your rock. I add it to my tank once a week. It will make your water cloudy for about 24 hrs or so. But in promise you will love love love the results. I have sofitie's, lps, sps in my tank and all does well they close up of corse but right back out the next day like nothing happend.
This is just the way I would try to handle this issue.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively you could fire up a lot of water and grab the miso and make some soup , actually conciderd it if my tank decided to grow edible seaweed.

OP
OP
uhupong

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to remove as much as you can via airline tube and pinching it off. Then sick out remainder floating in tank, when replacing water lost from cleaning. Add some LIVE ROCK ENHANCE!!!!!!. This will kill and out compete it for the rock. It qill also make your bio team much stronger at keeping things off your rock. I add it to my tank once a week. It will make your water cloudy for about 24 hrs or so. But in promise you will love love love the results. I have sofitie's, lps, sps in my tank and all does well they close up of corse but right back out the next day like nothing happend.
This is just the way I would try to handle this issue.
Since it make water cloudy I'm gonna guess it is bacteria based product. I can't risk losing SPS playing with biochemistry. Thanks for the suggestion though may be it is more suitable for non SPS tank.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i wouldnt do anyting besides pull it out when its too big or get ansea urchin. You got an healthy ecosystem growing and removing it will just allow an advantage to other photosynthetic creatures like hair algae, or dinos!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back