Macro I’d?

BrandoNy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for an I’d on some algae that is growing out of the Fiji mud in my sump.
Thanks

BB3D69B8-CA61-4B5A-AF33-3A48848EAE1D.jpeg 7C6A5A23-4A2A-494A-9111-DA3D4A1F38C9.jpeg 4EAC0E22-C54E-4BBD-ADDD-26E4F4BA0DC3.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BrandoNy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM’s identified it as paddle grass.
There is also ~1 lb. of Australian live rock in the sump but there is no grass on the rock. This paddle grass probably hitch hiked either on the small piece of live rock or the Fiji mud.

Attachments

• 17A91EFD-BBE6-4A8C-A804-403D58C20239.jpeg
    17A91EFD-BBE6-4A8C-A804-403D58C20239.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 47
  • 8550A96A-C4CC-4456-B4F4-B06E3C55F1C3.jpeg
    8550A96A-C4CC-4456-B4F4-B06E3C55F1C3.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 49

GoM_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly seems to have the vascularization of a seagrass. You can confirm it by (gently) pulling it off the sand and inspecting the rhizome. You should see a root structure and markedly different rhizomal tissue. I definitely know a few people who would be jealous to see that kind of seagrass growth in a home aquaria.

gobybryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM’s identified it as paddle grass.
There is also ~1 lb. of Australian live rock in the sump but there is no grass on the rock. This paddle grass probably hitch hiked either on the small piece of live rock or the Fiji mud.
Yea, looks like Paddle grass (Halophila decipiens).

Idk where you’re based, but that stuff is really hard to come by here in NY. Ive been trying to order some for ages. In the US, it’s collected near the Indian River Lagoon, FL.

OP
OP
B

BrandoNy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, looks like Paddle grass (Halophila decipiens).

Idk where you’re based, but that stuff is really hard to come by here in NY. Ive been trying to order some for ages. In the US, it’s collected near the Indian River Lagoon, FL.
I looked this up on Wikipedia and it is an annual plant that flowers and seeds. It makes sense that seeds could have been mixed in with the Fiji mud. How does one care for an annual plant in a sump? Does it need seasons?

gobybryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked this up on Wikipedia and it is an annual plant that flowers and seeds. It makes sense that seeds could have been mixed in with the Fiji mud. How does one care for an annual plant in a sump? Does it need seasons?
I don’t actually know if their seasonal cycle remains the same in an aquarium.

This is slightly unrelated, but I once kept an azalea indoors and it bloomed for 2-3 months longer than the plants I had outdoors.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only an annual in some locations - it’s a (typically short-lived) perennial in others. Either way, the population is known to boom and bust, so unless you have a male plant and a female plant in there that you can get setting seed, it likely won’t be in your tank for too long.

I’ll try and see if I can find more specific info to try and help you out with the care, but to get it setting seed it may well need at least some seasonal replication (temperature, light intensity, and light duration are all seasonal changes known to influence flowering and fruiting - for paddle grass specifically, from what I’ve read so far, temperature is thought to play a main role in the process).

Some good reading on paddle grass:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a little more research:
Halophila decipiens seems to prefer relatively low light (based on the info I've found, I would guess it would like right around 100-130+ PAR, I wouldn't go lower than 100 or higher than 150, but it may be able to tolerate higher levels; if you wanted to simulate the seasonal cycles, then you would drop the light to ~50 PAR to simulate wet seasons and raise it back to 100+ for dry seasons) and tropical temps (~70F for wet season and ~80F for dry season), and at least some populations are known to flower and seed year-round. So, as long as the conditions are right (i.e. as long as the plant has enough light and a high enough temp), it may not need seasonal replication to seed/thrive in a tank.

I'm not sure what flow it prefers, but I would guess moderate flow based on the flow around other Halophila spp.

Light, temperature, and seasonal impacts:
Flow for other seagrasses:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back